C-TOPS Gives Freshmen Glimpse of Life at UNC

June 6 was the first session of the C-TOPS orientation program with 250 incoming students registered to participate. This year's C-TOPS has 15 sessions and 14 orientation leaders. The last of the sessions will end Aug. 16.

Leeanne Price, a sophomore orientation leader, said the opening sessions went well. "Everything is very smooth," she said. "The whole university has worked hard to make this happen."

This year's C-TOPS is shortened into two two-day sessions per week. Previous C-TOPS had one three-day session per week.

Shirley Hunter, director of orientation, said C-TOPS sessions were shortened in response to participants' feedback that the 3-day orientation sessions were long and that two days would be enough for the orientation activities.

Monica Liverman, an incoming freshman from Garner, said that although the C-TOPS sessions are shorter, she still has enough time to participate in activities and adjust to the campus environment.

During the sessions, students participated in events including small-group discussions about college life, class registration, discussions with academic advisers and evening outings on Franklin Street.

Representatives from some campus organizations sat in the Pit to try to recruit incoming students, and many students displayed their interest in getting involved at the University by approaching the various groups represented last Thursday.

Amanda Durst, vice president of Panhellenic sororities, said students would show more interest in the organizations after they move in.

"I think it is intimidating a little bit, but as it warms up, it will be fine," she said.

Price said she enjoys working with the incoming students because they are enthusiastic about the University.

"I love it. ... The freshmen are eager and excited."