South Carolina's Peters Rises To the Occasion at NCAAs

To say South Carolina first baseman Yaron Peters had a good weekend against North Carolina pitching? Or to say he was trying too hard?

"When I try to do too much, I get out of my swing, I get out of my focus," Peters said. "I was just trying to wait for the pitchers to make mistakes and just capitalize on that."

And capitalize he did -- to the tune of five home runs and seven RBI. He reached base nine times in fifteen at bats. The five home runs upped his season total to 27, and the 6 RBI gave him 89 on the year, both new South Carolina single-season records.

In Sunday's first game, Peters struck out with the bases loaded and the Gamecocks down 5-1, but he didn't let that bother him.

"If I keep that in my head, then I'll just struggle in my next at bats," he said.

It's safe to say he forgot about the whiff because he reached base every time he stepped to the plate the rest of the day, including game two.

"He's just been the backbone of our season, no doubt about it," USC coach Ray Tanner said. "The numbers that he's put up have been incredible."

UNC coach Mike Fox said of Peters' performance: "He kind of just put them on his back and said, 'OK. Ride me to this championship.' And that's the kind of performance you have to get out of one of your best players."

Despite the power surge, Peters said he never swings for the fences.

"That's when the weight room comes into effect because I consider myself a contact hitter even though I hit a lot of home runs," Peters said. "I've got to make contact and let my swing come into effect."

That was evident on his two home runs to the opposite field, which were "full extension," allowing him to put some muscle into his swing, he said.

Peters' weekend didn't go unnoticed.

The media selected him, along with six other Gamecocks, to the All-Tournament Team and voted him the tournament's Most Valuable Player.

On Monday, Peters was also named the collegiate Louisville Slugger Player of the Week.

South Carolina faces defending national champion Miami this weekend in Columbia, and Peters said he likes the Gamecocks' chances to advance to Omaha for the College World Series.

"Miami's played some good teams, but they haven't played us, and they haven't played this atmosphere, and they have a lot to prove."

If Peters continues to make contact like he did against the Tar Heels, then look for him and the Gamecocks in Omaha.

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.