Lacrosse Players Seek National Spots

Tar Heel women's lacrosse players Rachel Szakmary and Brooke Young have been invited to participate in trials for the U.S. women's lacrosse national team.

Trials will be held in August at Cabrini College in Radnor, Pa.

Szakmary and Young, rising juniors at UNC, both took part in the Women's Division National Tournament in May and were selected for the U.S. team trials based on their performances there.

Young, an attacker, started every game and finished fifth on the Tar Heel team in scoring in 2002 with 37 points on 20 goals and 17 assists. She will be UNC's top returning scorer in 2003.

Szakmary, also an attacker, saw action in 15 UNC games in 2002, finishing the season with one goal and two assists.

The 2002 Tar Heels set a school record with 17 wins, won the ACC tournament and reached the NCAA Final Four.

Wilkinson Selected as Academic All-American

North Carolina women's lacrosse player Porter Wilkinson has been named to the CoSIDA/Verizon Academic Women's At-Large Third Team for 2002. The announcement was made Monday.

She was the only women's lacrosse player from the ACC to be named to any of the first three teams.

McPike Earns National Midfielder of the Year

Tar Heel senior Christine McPike has been named the 2002 national Midfielder of the Year by the Intercollegiate Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association, the organization announced Monday.

She also was named ACC Player of the Year, ACC Tournament MVP and All-ACC this season. UNC went 17-3 last season, won the 2002 ACC championship and advanced to the NCAA Final Four.

Iannetta Honored By Baseball America

North Carolina catcher Chris Iannetta has been named a second-team freshman All-America by Baseball America. Iannetta started 47 games in his first season and had a .333 batting average. He had a pair of hits in the first two games of the NCAA regional at Columbia, S.C., before he suffered a deep thigh bruise June 1. He missed the last three games.