UNC Hospitals Responds to List of Deficiencies

The letter, which was received by UNC Hospitals President and CEO Eric Munson on May 31, requested a response to "standard level deficiencies" cited during a survey of the hospital by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services in May 2001.

The response was due today, 10 working days after receipt of the notice. Munson was unavailable for comment.

The CMS survey -- which determines whether a hospital is in compliance with Medicare Conditions of Participation -- was conducted following a survey by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, which gave a positive assessment of UNC Hospitals.

Karen McCall, vice president of public affairs and marketing for UNC Hospitals, explained that of the several levels of deficiencies assigned by CMS following a survey, the "standard level" is of lowest urgency and does not affect Medicare and Medicaid funding status.

McCall said the evaluation has positive aspects because it gives the hospital an opportunity to improve quality. "(CMS officials) come in here and look at your policies and then try to give you recommendations on how to improve," she said.

In addition to the cited deficiencies, the hospital also must address in its response five separate complaints filed by CMS.

"The best way we can correct these deficiencies is to look at what they've pointed out and by doing systems analysis," said McCall.

Jim Jones, media representative for the Department of Health and Human Services, said specifics on the cited deficiencies and complaints will not be released until next week, after the Division of Facility Services has reviewed UNC Hospitals' plan of action.