Drought Could Cause Water Restrictions

On June 27, OWASA adopted a resolution requesting voluntary water conservation, but since then the available supply has continued to decline.

OWASA officials are predicting the county has only about 131 days of water left. University Lake is more than 5 feet below full, while the Cane Creek Reservoir is about 11 feet below full. These conditions are likely to force OWASA to declare a stage one water shortage, which could take effect Friday.

"Stage one means several things, one of which is limiting outdoor watering with sprinklers to three days a week," said OWASA public affairs spokesman Greg Feller. "More specifically, people with odd-number addresses could water on Monday, Wednesday or Friday and people with even-number addresses could water on Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday."

In addition, stage one restricts the use of water on sidewalks, driveways, cars and buildings. It also explains that no water will be served in restaurants except on request. Citizens who violate the regulations could be fined an as-yet undetermined amount.

While stage one of the water conservation plan will limit residential water use, the University will be expected to limit its use as well. "We have had conversation with the University, and they know that there is a need to conserve, and there are several things that they will be doing," Feller said.

Ray DuBose, UNC's director of energy services, said the University will be prepared for the water restrictions. "We have an irrigation plan that we are going to submit to OWASA," DuBose said. "The University's plan will basically do the same thing as it does to the residents."

In the Carrboro Board of Aldermen meeting last week, Alderman Jacquelyn Gist raised the issue of how the influx of students in August could affect the water supply in the area.

But Feller said that should not be a problem. "That one change by itself will probably not make a huge difference in water use," he said. "People water most in hot, dry weather, and the University's water use is fairly stable over the course of the year."

Provost Robert Shelton said UNC officials are not worried. "At the moment we are not anticipating problems when everybody returns," he said. "But there is a lot of time between now and mid-August."

But Shelton agreed that if the drought continues it could cause problems for the University. "If our suppliers clamped down and said you only get this much water per month, then we would have to quickly gather and asses what the real critical functions are, such as the hospital and dormitories," he said.

DuBose said communication will play a key role. "I expect if the drought continues we will have to start a communications effort in order to heighten everyone's understanding of the severity of the drought and the need for everyone to conserve water," DuBose said. "We just need to stretch our resources as long as we can."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.