Thornton Signs With Indianapolis Colts

Thornton was a walk-on at North Carolina and had 155 tackles and three sacks in 11 starts last year.

Chacos Arrested July 10, Charged With DWI

Brian Andrew Chacos, a rising sophomore on the North Carolina football team who should compete for playing time at tight end this upcoming season, was arrested July 10 and charged with driving while impaired and consuming alcohol as a minor, according to The (Raleigh) News & Observer.

Chacos was arrested at 3:37 a.m. at 210 Columbia St. in Chapel Hill, according to a police report. The 19-year-old Chacos was released on a written promise to appear Aug. 20 in Orange County District Court in Chapel Hill.

"We will take the appropriate disciplinary measures once the case completes the judicial process," Tar Heels coach John Bunting told The News & Observer. "My policy is that anyone convicted of a DUI will be suspended for at least one game."

Reports state that Chacos had a moderate odor of alcohol and did poorly on field sobriety tests.

His blood alcohol content, according to the report, was .08 -- the legal limit for "driving while impaired" under N.C. law.

Volleyball Coach Picks 2 Assistants for '02

North Carolina volleyball coach Joe Sagula has hired two assistant coaches, Jim Lodes and Jill Lytle.

Lodes joins UNC with a record of 276-184 (.600) as a head college volleyball coach. Last season, he led Lees-McRae College to a 25-17 record, including championships the conference. Lytle was a graduate assistant at the University of Tennessee-Martin. She helped lead the Skyhawks (24-7) to the regular season Ohio Valley Conference Championship.

Last season UNC (24-9, 12-4) won its third consecutive ACC title.