Bunting Modifies Defensive Line

At Monday's practice Bunting discarded sophomore Jocques Dumas as a contender for a starting defensive end slot and slid senior defensive tackle Will Chapman outside.

"(Dumas) hasn't been the pass specialist we thought he might be," he said. "He had some difficulty with the run game. ... He did not perform like we wanted him to perform (in training camp)."

Chapman started at defensive tackle the first eight games last season and had 29 tackles before a knee injury against Clemson sidelined him for the rest of the season. He is the only returning starter among the front seven, and said he's old enough to be moved around to improve the Tar Heels' young defense.

"We weren't being very aggressive," Chapman said. "By moving a defensive tackle out there, I can provide more jump off the ball. I'm used to taking on blockers, not just looking at the ball."

Playing on the outside excites Chapman for two reasons: not having to worry about the double team and protecting his knee.

Just in time to fill in on the inside, sophomore tackle Chase Page returned to practice Monday after sitting out with a groin strain. Providing he stays healthy, he is at the front of the deck of contenders to start at tackle.

Chapman said, "We're putting the best people in the right places."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.