Dorrance Lawsuit In Limbo

After 4 years, still no verdict in sight.

The suit was filed by former UNC soccer players Debbie Keller and Melissa Jennings in the U.S. District Court in Chicago on Aug. 25, 1998. Since then, the lawsuit was moved to the U.S. District Court, Middle District of North Carolina.

John Bason, public information officer for the N.C. Department of Justice said motions must be considered before depositions can begin. The plaintiffs' lawyers could not be reached for comment.

Keller and Jennings are seeking $1 million each in compensatory damages and $10 million in punitive damages.

In the suit, Keller, who was voted national player of the year in 1995 and 1996, alleges that Dorrance tried to coerce her into meeting with him in a secluded area and made uninvited sexual advances in October 1996 and in 1998.

"Unfortunately right now it's just a waiting game," she said. Keller was married Sept. 1, 2001 and is a hair stylist.

The lawsuit also alleges that Dorrance used his position to intimidate team members into reporting the sexual activities of their teammates.

Jennings was dismissed from the team after two seasons and claims Dorrance arranged for team members to take her to bars on her recruiting trip and reimbursed them for alcohol bought. She also claims Dorrance forced her to withdraw $400 from her bank account to purchase supplies before a game against Clemson.

Jennings has a master's degree from Aurora University in Illinois and coaches women's soccer at Waubonsee Community College. "I'm trying to do the best I can."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.