Stokes Key to Tar Heel Defense

Untested backfield presents challenge.

Stokes, a junior, is the only returning starter from last year's defense, which posted 14 shutouts and gave up only 19 goals.

While Saturday's game against Connecticut is just an exhibition, Stokes views the match as a chance for the defense to get a feel for itself and to learn to play more effectively.

"We're not too comfortable with our new defense," Stokes said.

The defensive formation changed from a three-man backfield to a four-back set this season, Stokes said. But the change in both formation and personnel does not worry him.

"I'm not concerned," the All-America candidate said. "I'm more excited. I think we have the potential to be just as good (as last year)."

The usually reserved Stokes said in order to get the defense to last year's level he must be more of a leader on the field.

"I think I'm definitely going to have to be more vocal in the system we're playing, so I'm going to have to work on that," Stokes said. "I hope to be a leader by example also, and just try to incorporate both."

Bolowich remains unsure who will line up in the back, but agreed Stokes must make himself heard.

"He needs to communicate more," Bolowich said. "He needs to be more consistent and establish himself as a dominant defender."

As a matter of fact, Stokes has already built a reputation as one of the best defenders in the country. In last year's NCAA championship game, he shut down Indiana's star forward Pat Noonan and went on to earn defensive MVP honors of the tournament.

Grant Porter, who is expected to play next to Stokes when he returns from an ankle injury, said Stokes must assert himself quickly.

"Stokes is very crucial to our defense. Not only is he a great player, he has experience," Porter said. "He's going to have to set the tone and be a leader back there like (2001 sweeper) Danny Jackson."

Stokes is actually the only player on the roster with significant defensive experience.

He also brings to the field a sense for the game that is matched by few. He scored two game-winning goals in 2001, proving he knows when to push up and join the attack.

"I like to get involved with the offense, but this year is going to be tough because we're playing four in the back," he said. "So I'll kind of stay home."

Another reason Stokes has gained so much experience is his durability. He enters the 2002 season as an iron-man of sorts. He has started all 49 games in his two years at North Carolina. How has he done it?

"I'm lucky," Stokes said.

Call it luck or not, but Stokes has not remained injury free. In December 2000, he had reconstructive surgery after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament, but was able to return to full strength in time for the 2001 season.

But some of Stokes' most valuable lessons have come at the international level. He is a part of the U.S. Under-23 National Team and traveled overseas last spring to play against the Italian U-23 club. Stokes matched up opposite several forwards from Italy's Serie A, a top professional league in Europe.

"I think I learned more from that game than probably any other game I've ever played," Stokes said "I got exposed to the highest level I ever played."

So when the topic shifted to winning a second national championship, Stokes didn't mince words.

"We have the potential and anything less, I think, would be an underachievement," he said. "So yeah, we're going to do it again."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu