Candidates Share Passion for Service

Both also share the desire for the title of Ms. Black Student Movement.

"Ms. BSM is a way to reward people and say that the organization appreciates you and recognizes your work," said BSM Secretary Erin Davis.

As defined by the BSM constitution, Ms. BSM's duties are to represent the BSM in the Homecoming competition and to represent the BSM at functions as designated by the executive board. Candidates are chosen through an application process and must be active members of BSM.

The application consists of a series of essays, including one describing a proposed service project that the winner will be able to carry out.

A three-day breast cancer awareness workshop and a math and science enrichment program for youth are among past projects.

"The projects have had a strong impact on the campus community at large," said BSM Education Committee co-chairwoman Eboni Williams.

An interview follows the application and is conducted by BSM President Lindsay Reed and a selected BSM member.

In past years, the Mr. BSM competition also has occurred, but Reed said that this year there are no candidates.

After Patterson and Rodgers were chosen as the two candidates, they began a week of campaigning.

At a forum Wednesday night, both candidates gave five-minute speeches detailing their proposed service projects and other campus involvement.

In her speech, Patterson described herself as, "a strong black woman committed to change."

She cited public speaking not only as being the No. 1 fear facing Americans today but also being an area in which blacks lag behind. To combat the problem, Patterson's proposed service project is called Empowering Voices. BSM volunteers would be trained by professionals to work with young people to boost their public speaking skills. "What better way to empower young African-American youth then by giving them a voice?" Patterson said.

Her other involvements with BSM include serving on the Special Projects Committee and tenures as treasurer and with Opeyo! Dancers. Her campus activities include Communiversity, Campus Y and MANO. "You can never do too much service," Patterson said.

In her speech, Rodgers said she also would like to use the position of Ms. BSM to help others.

"Being Ms. BSM gives you the opportunity to do service, and it also puts lots of people behind your service project," Rodgers said.

The name of her proposed project is Ebony Pride -- a weekend retreat in Chapel Hill for local at-risk teenagers.

Activities would include a basketball tournament, dance performances and educational workshops on topics such as healthy behavior and cultural expression.

Rodgers' involvement with BSM ranges from a position as fund-raising chairwoman and cultural diversity chairwoman to Carolina Union Activities Board ambassador and Harvey Beech scholar. She also has been active in student government and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Emerging Leaders Program.

Although both Patterson and Rodgers would like to become Ms. BSM, each agrees that her opponent is well-qualified. No matter who wins, both contestants said they would like to be involved with each other's service projects.

Voting occurred Thursday in the Pit. Reed said that of the more than 600 BSM members, a substantial number turned out to vote. Only BSM members were allowed to vote.

Results will not be announced until the coronation ceremony at the BSM ball Saturday at the Sheraton Chapel Hill Hotel.

"It's a wonderful event," Reed said.

"It's a chance for everyone to get together in formal wear to have a good time and support one another."

The Features Editor can be reached at features@unc.edu.