Justice Returns to Full Speed

Justice sprained his ankle during a preseason scrimmage, and the injury removed him from competing for a starting position at linebacker.

Injury Sidelines Clemson's Francis

Clemson's defensive coordinator John Lovett said Wednesday that Kevin Johnson will start at the cornerback position for the injured Toure Francis.

Francis suffered a knee injury during Clemson's game Saturday against Georgia and could be out for the season.

Johnson also saw some playing time during the Tigers' game last week. Coach Tommy Bowden said Wednesday he was pleased with how Johnson played.

Johnson and Francis competed for the starting position during spring practices.

In addition to Johnson, freshman Justin Miller most likely will see more time at the cornerback position as the season progresses.

"Justin Miller has made good progress," Bowden said. "His role will increase from week to week, and Toure's injury will just speed up the process."

The Tigers will play Louisiana Tech at 1 p.m. Saturday in Death Valley.

Williams Almost Healthy for Wake

Running back Tarence Williams might see some playing time in Wake Forest's Saturday match against East Carolina. Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe said he was pleased with how Williams practiced on Monday.

Williams suffered a broken bone in his foot during a practice in June. The injury came just as Williams was healing from an ankle injury he sustained during the spring.

Grobe said Williams is healing well and will be tested during practice this week to determine how he can handle full-contact situations.

"One of our main concerns is that we don't throw him into the fire where his foot stays healthy but he hurts his shoulder, gets banged up some other way," Grobe said.

"If he plays against East Carolina, it'll be somewhat limited as far as reps are concerned, we'll continue to give all of our backs a lot of reps and try and keep our guys fresh."

Gailey Shines in Opener

Georgia Tech's Chan Gailey made an ACC debut with a 45-3 win over Vanderbilt on Saturday. The 42-point win margin is tied for the third largest victory margin by a coach in his first game at an ACC school.