Oddjobs Rocks Without Crowd Support Despite Energetic Chants, Lyrics

Oddjobs
Cat's Cradle

Oddjobs should definitely keep their day jobs.

The group of two MCs, Advizor and Crescent Moon, has the spirit and energy to power all of Carrboro, but its rhymes are overpowered by the skillful and loud DJs, Anatomy and Deeltax.

Advizor and Crescent Moon even gave the DJs a chance to "get loose," showing off their skills and earning a better reception from the crowd than the rappers themselves.

This didn't faze Advizor or Crescent Moon, who continued to prompt audience sing-alongs and talk to the crowd. They opened the show by asking for some intense and energetic audience participation, trying to build a flow, telling the members of the audience, "When I say 'Odd,' you say, 'How cool is Oddjobs?'"

Their reception was clear when the response was returned few times. Maybe Oddjobs aren't "even cooler than Cool Hand Luke" as they boasted.

Few songs fought their way out of the jumble of melodies.

Their most recent single, "Drybones," featured a catchy chorus, while "Running Out of Time" was more intricately performed. The latter showcased the MCs' tight unity as they bounced rhymes off one another.

After another failed attempt at audience participation, this time trying to get the audience to divide and yell "high" and "low" when prompted, the group attempted to delve deeper with some "spoken word."

The "spoken word" involved an impromptu yet obviously well-rehearsed joke involving the poem "I am a bird/I am a snail." The MCs then launched into a rap similar to the "spoken word," beginning with the rhyme, "I am the baddest barracuda ever seen in the sea."

Although the majority of lyrics were inaudible, those that were heard showed some impressive lyric writing. The two friends were a powerful working combo, bouncing lyrics and lines off each other throughout the show.

Unity was apparent between the MCs, but they lacked a unity with music pushed by the DJs. The turntables and vocals became a messy mismatch of music.

Like the beats that backed them up, the energy from Advizor and Crescent Moon seemed overpowering. Veins jumped from their necks as they rapped, waving their arms and dancing around the stage.

Their energy was unmatched by the crowd, who nodded their heads and occasionally threw up their arms in agreement to the rhymes.

One MC noted, "Y'all have some energy; this is lovely." The comment was more appropriate for the group itself.

Introducing one song, the MCs boasted, "You can rock out ... to this one." Oddjobs didn't forget to rock out, but the audience never got in the groove.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.