Parker's Play Key for UNC

Returning to turf might help his performance.

Game and time

Site: Carrier Dome.

TV/Radio: The game will be televised on ESPN2. The Tar Heel Sports Network will provide live radio coverage; its flagship station is WCHL 1360-AM.

Records: North Carolina is 0-1, 0-0 in the ACC. Syracuse is 0-1, 0-0 in the Big East.

Series: Tied, 1-1.

Personnel update: North Carolina -- DT Eric Davis is out for the season with a knee injury. Syracuse -- None reported.

The key matchup: It almost goes without saying that if the Tar Heels turn the ball over nine times -- like they did against Miami (Ohio) in their season opener -- they will lose. But Saturday's fumble-fest was a one-time occurrence.

UNC quarterback Darian Durant and center Jason Brown seem to have worked out their miscommunication problems that resulted in multiple fumbles against the RedHawks. And any weather conditions will be nullified by the fact that they are playing in a dome, making the ball easier to hang on to.

With that said, Syracuse has an opportunistic defense. In fact, all 21 of the Orangemen's points against BYU last Thursday came off turnovers, so Durant must avoid throwing interceptions.

Syracuse will try to slow down the pace of the game and wait for UNC to make mistakes. The key to this plan is the running game. Damien Rhodes had an impressive debut against the Cougars, rushing for 82 yards on 14 carries. Rhodes and Walter Reyes combined for 140 yards on the ground in the 42-21 loss. If they can duplicate that performance, they won't have to rely on quarterback R.J. Anderson to make plays.

Anderson was shaky last week and will likely have difficulty against the UNC secondary if he is forced to pass often. The Orangemen will keep the ball on the ground if at all possible -- they have won 39 of their last 40 games when attempting less than 20 passes, dating back to 1994.

"Syracuse is going to present multiple formations, shifts and motions, but when they are in their regular personnel, they like to pound the ball," said UNC coach John Bunting. "They will run a series of options, so we are going to have to defend power and option football."

The Tar Heels allowed 175 rushing yards to Miami, and the RedHawks are known much more for their passing game. The linebackers will have to find a way to contain the Syracuse ground attack for UNC to win.

Final Analysis/Prediction: In the end, the Orangemen will be able to run the ball effectively.

But it is unclear if the Tar Heels will be able to beat Syracuse at its own game.

Willie Parker is the X-factor.

If Parker reproduces his 131-yard rushing performance in last season's Peach Bowl -- the last time he played on artificial turf -- the Tar Heels could control the tempo of the game.

But he'll have to do it against a quick, talented Syracuse linebacking corps led by preseason All-American Clifton Smith. Last week Smith racked up 13 tackles despite being sidelined with cramps for part of the game. Joining Smith is junior LB Jameel Dumas, another outstanding run-defender who made a career high eight solo tackles last week. Against that defense, any rushing the Tar Heels muster at all will be a bonus.

Syracuse 24, UNC 16.

-Compiled by Aaron Fitt