Patterson Crowned New Ms. BSM

News given at Black Student Movement's coronation ball

Upon the announcement of this year's Ms. BSM, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority members enveloped Patterson in a circle and sang congratulations for a fellow sister's achievements -- a ritual that, like the annual BSM ball, has long been a tradition.

"I think it was a great ceremony," Patterson said about the annual coronation ball, which has been held for more than 20 years. "It's all tradition. It means a lot because it is so traditional." This year's coronation, held at the Sheraton Chapel Hill Hotel, featured music, a candlelight dinner, formalwear and a red carpet.

"I think (the ball) is an occasion to celebrate the achievements of the BSM and to encourage rededication to the Black Student Movement, and it's an opportunity to share a network as in any social setting," said BSM President Lindsay Reed.

Patrice High, the ball's organizer, said the ultimate purpose of the event is to crown Mr. and Ms. BSM and their court. The court, which consists of one junior and one sophomore, helps Ms. BSM with a service project.

The winners for the BSM court were junior Eboni Williams and sophomore Erin Davis. This is the second year that a BSM court has been elected.

High said there was no Mr. BSM crowned this year because no one applied for the position, but she thinks a Mr. BSM will continue to be crowned in future years.

Patterson's service project, which is called Empowering Voices, will involve training BSM volunteers to work with young people to improve their public speaking skills. Patterson, who has already begun work on her project, plans to implement it in November, during BSM Month.

"Anyone who's interested on campus in the cause, please help and volunteer," she said.

In addition to completing a service project, Patterson said Ms. BSM's duties include being a voice for BSM, representing BSM in the Homecoming queen competition and fulfilling other duties according to the organization's constitution.

Melody Rodgers, the runner-up for Ms. BSM, plans to be involved in Patterson's service project.

"I want to congratulate everyone in the BSM court and thank everyone who supported me," Rodgers said.

Both BSM candidates went through an application and interview process as well as a candidate forum. Voting was only open to BSM members.

"I don't think words can express it," Patterson said after winning. "I definitely feel great and just love this organization and its people. It's something I've always had my eyes on; it's something I've always hoped to receive."