Tar Heels Score Early, Defeat USC at Invite

Victory snaps UNC's non-winning streak.

UNC defender Catherine Reddick scored for the Tar Heels at 4:25 of the match, and sophomore forward Anne Felts scored just over a minute later at 5:36 to boost North Carolina to a 2-0 victory.

Both goalkeepers played well in the match, with Julie Person of the Women of Troy posting six saves and North Carolina's Jenni Branam also stopping six shots.

The six saves for Branam were one short of her career high of seven, set against Virginia during her sophomore season.

With the win, North Carolina improved to 1-0-1 on the season, and the victory ended a two-match non-winning streak for the Tar Heels, which equalled the longest non-winning streak in school history.

In its last two games, UNC lost to Santa Clara in the 2001 NCAA title game and tied Nebraska 1-1 on Friday night at the Adidas Invite.

North Carolina has had six two-match non-winning streaks in its history. The five previous streaks were back-to-back losses. The last time that happened was in 2000 when UNC lost successive matches to Florida State and Wake Forest.

During Sunday's game, UNC coach Anson Dorrance substituted freely while using a makeshift lineup that is missing four potential starters. Sophomore midfielder Sara Randolph did not travel with the team due to a staph infection.

Also missing from the lineup were freshmen Lori Chalupny, Kendall Fletcher and Lindsay Tarpley. The four will return to the team Monday after playing with the U.S. Under-19 National Team at the World Championships in Canada.

North Carolina will host the Nike Carolina Classic at Fetzer Field on Friday.

UNC will match up with Guilford at 7 p.m. Friday and Washington at 1 p.m. on Sunday. Duke and Wofford also will participate in the invite.

Runners Finish First

BUIES CREEK -- The North Carolina men's and women's cross-country team took first place at the Campbell Invitational on Saturday.

On the men's side, seven Tar Heels finished in the top 10. Brian McGovern (16:07), David Stroupe (16:13), Rob Robertson (16:20), Matt Daly (16:24) and Hunter Graham (16:28) finished second through seventh place. Pablo Durana rounded out the Tar Heels in the top 10 with a time of 16:47, putting him in 10th place.

On the women's side, four Tar Heels placed in the top four. Alice Schmidt finished first with her time of 15:08. Kristin Stroupe (15:13), Jessica Perry (15:13) and Jennie Sucher all finished second through fourth.

Cassie King (15:38), Erin Macbeth (15:53), Nicole Boykin (15:56) and Catalina Palfreman (16:00) finished the race in seventh through 10th place.

Reid Named ACC Defensive Back

North Carolina free safety Dexter Reid was named the ACC Defensive Back of the Week on Sunday. Reid had 21 tackles, including 13 solos and eight assists in UNC's 27-21 loss to Miami of Ohio. He also broke up two passes.

Reid and the UNC secondary held RedHawk quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to fewer than 50 percent completions for the first time in his career, and the 204 yards passing for Roethlisberger were his fewest in the last nine games. This is the second career ACC defensive back of the week honor for Reid. He also earned the award last season after the Virginia game.