Tarpley Celebrates With Hat Trick

North Carolina forward Lindsay Tarpley could be the exception.

The true freshman celebrated her 19th birthday with a hat trick, giving UNC half of its goals against Florida International.

A humble Tarpley shrugged off her performance as part of her job.

"I was just in the right spot at the right time," she said.

But UNC coach Anson Dorrance said he was not surprised by the hot-footed freshman, who has scored eight goals in six games this season.

"It was only a matter of time before she got her first hat trick," he said. "I'm glad it was so early in her freshman year, and trust me, this won't be her last hat trick."

The Tar Heels swept the Golden Panthers 6-0 Sunday at Koskinen Stadium. The game was UNC's second in the Duke/adidas Women's Soccer Classic. UNC defeated Marquette 4-1 Friday.

UNC (7-0-1) came out early against the Golden Panthers (0-7-1) as Tarpley scored off an Anne Felts pass four minutes into the game. Tarpley's shot, executed from about 22 yards out, soared past diving goalkeeper Adrienne McWilliams.

Less than 10 minutes later, Tarpley notched her second goal off an assist from Lori Chalupny and Susan Bush.

Chalupny earned another assist after she headed the ball to Alyssa Ramsey, who scored from seven yards out.

"I kind of read it coming over, and I knew I had a chance to go after it," Chalupny said. "Heading has been something I'm working on, so I went after that one really hard."

With about four minutes left in the half, Felts one-touched a shot from 25 yards out for an unassisted goal -- her third of the season and UNC's fourth of the afternoon.

Tarpley completed her hat trick in the 54th minute of play after she finessed a pass from Bush to the left of McWilliams.

Freshman Brynn Hardman sealed the game for the Tar Heels with a shot from 25 yards out off a flick from Anne Morrell.

Friday's game started in a completely different way for UNC. About four minutes into the game, junior defender Catherine Reddick received a red card after a foul in Marquette's box.

Reddick did not return to Friday's game, nor could she play on Sunday.

"It was definitely disappointing because there's few games you get to play anyway, and when you miss two and then you miss a couple more with the (U.S. women's) national team, it's hard to watch your team play," Reddick said.

Reddick, Chalupny and Tarpley will travel to Long Island, N.Y. this week to compete for spots on the national team, and might miss upcoming games.

Dorrance used Reddick's absence, plus the fact that many Tar Heels currently are injured as a chance to utilize more players in both matches.

"We're obviously stronger than FIU so we can play them as we did without the top part of our roster on the field," Dorrance said. "I really felt the performances of the kids that came in were outstanding and they won their time."

The Sports Editor can be reached at

sports@unc.edu.