Testo Returns From Suspension, Sparks UNC Win

For senior forward David Testo of the North Carolina men's soccer team, it was not an injury that held him back, but an arrest on an assault charge that sidelined him for two games. He is scheduled to appear in Orange County District Court in Hillsborough on Oct. 11.

But Saturday night, he made his highly anticipated return to the field for the Tar Heels' ACC regular-season opener against Virginia.

The game could prove to be a turning point for UNC, as the return of Testo helped propel the Tar Heels to a 2-1 win against the Cavaliers, the reigning ACC regular season champions.

In what could have been his demise, Testo showed his composure as a senior and his desire to make up for lost time with a game-winning goal in the 21st minute. Coming off a junior season in which he scored 11 goals, Testo's expectations were high entering this year.

However, the beginning of his senior campaign has been marked with frustration, be it a lack of goals or his two-game suspension, and Testo came back with a chip on his shoulder. "I had a lot to prove," Testo said. "Coming back, I wanted to show that I wanted it more than I had been showing it."

And prove it he did.

After the Cavaliers took an early 1-0 lead off the foot of Alecko Eskandarian, North Carolina coach Elmar Bolowich subbed Testo in for junior forward Sean McGinty.

Testo's presence was obvious, and his impact immediate.

Less than three minutes after entering the game, Testo headed in the eventual game winner off a corner kick from Matt Crawford.

"The ball came out far post, and I was trying to put it in back into the mix, and somehow it got in," Testo said.

The corner, coming from the left side of the field, appeared to be too long as it sailed over the head of 6-foot-3 David Stokes.

But Testo held his position on the far post and redirected the ball into the back of the net, giving the Tar Heels a 2-1 lead.

Testo's first goal of the year wasn't pretty, but it was one of his biggest since transferring to UNC two years ago, and it could not have come at a better time.

"I don't hold any grudges against him," Bolowich said. "He's just another good player that we have available, and he should play."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.