Time Crucial for Setup's Success

New formation puts less players up front.

The new style takes one of the front line players and moves her back to the midfield to give the Tar Heels more defensive support.

This puts four people on defense, four in the midfield and only two at forward, instead of three like last year.

But the new formation did not accomplish all that Shelton hoped it would in UNC's first two games.

"It didn't work as well as we had hoped," she said. "I think that (midfielder) Meredith Keller and (back) Steph Fuller still have to grow into their roles. Their roles are far more involved than they've been in the past. I think they're still adjusting to it.

"I think we've been pretty solid defensively, so I'm comfortable with it defensively. Offensively, we're not getting points quite as much as I'd like out of it."

The Tar Heels did not score a goal Saturday against Michigan and scored two goals in Sunday's game against Iowa, one of which came in sudden death.

UNC also managed only one shot on goal against the Wolverines and 11 against the Hawkeyes.

Shelton and the team are looking forward to the return of sophomore forward Kelsey Keeran. She broke her jaw and will not be able to play for at least a few more games, but she will bring experience to the UNC's offense.

"I think missing Kelsey was significant for us," Shelton said about the games this weekend. "I think we'll be a much better team when Kelsey is back on the field. I think that was obvious in that we really have no offensive flair from our players up front. ... Kelsey adds a little more pizazz up front in that she has some good stick skills and she goes to the goal."

The Tar Heels are also going to have to look for offensive help from the midfield if they are going to score more in this new setup.

"This year we're playing with two forwards instead, so the midfield is really going to have to help out the forwards," said midfielder Katy Potter, who scored UNC's first goal of the season against Iowa.

"The two outside midfielders are really going to have to work hard to get up there for the tip-ins. I'm playing midfield, and I was just up there for the tip-in."

But Shelton and her players, do not seem to have many worries about the future of the team.

"I think we're fine," Shelton said. "It's a new team, you move on. I think Naomi (Weatherald) has filled Abby Martin's role and Laura Douglas has filled Abbey Woolley's role."

Even though the players are young and only three of them have ever won an overtime game for UNC before Sunday, they seem to think the goals will come with time and maturity.

"We had so many chances to score today, but we just messed up the last touch, the last pass or the last something, but we had a lot of scoring opportunities, and that was good, you know?" said senior goalkeeper Amy Tran.

"They'll put them in by the end of the season."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.