Wofford Serves as Unusual Opponent for Terps

But the game between the defending ACC champion Terrapins (2-2, 0-1 in the ACC) and the Div. I-AA Terriers provided enough intrigue for The New York Times to send a writer to Spartanburg, S.C.

And why not? Wofford, the smallest school in Div. I-A or I-AA with a meager enrollment of 1,100, provided plenty of unusual storylines.

Tight ends coach Joe Leserne served as president of Wofford for 28 years before joining the football staff.

Last year, Terrier place kicker Darren Brown was selected as a Div. I-AA All-America. He was born with a left arm that doesn't extend beyond his elbow.

And one of the Terrier's top wide receivers is legally blind. Isaac Goodpaster led the team last season with 25 catches and has 20/200 vision.

"I don't look straight into anything," Goodpaster told The New York Times earlier this week. "I've had it all my life and never known anything else, so I've adapted and adjusted to things everybody else takes for granted. I may walk off a curb or bump into a corner of a wall, but that's about it."

Last week Wofford knocked off perennial Div. I-AA powerhouse Georgia Southern 14-7.

And the Terriers aren't strangers to playing big-name schools. Wofford put out admirable showings against Clemson and South Carolina last season, losing to both teams 38-14.

The Terriers ended up on Maryland's schedule because last winter Troy State backed out of a 2002 meeting with the Terps. A connection between Maryland coach Ralph Friedgen and Wofford Athletic Director Richard Johnson set up the game. The two were at the Citadel together in the 1970s, when Friedgen was an assistant football coach and Johnson a basketball player.

But it wasn't Wofford's quirks that were on Friedgen's mind this week.

"Well, they're 3-0, so that gets my attention right away," said Maryland coach Ralph Friedgen. "They are running the ball very well; I know they run a lot of option, so that will be different for our defense."

FSU Looks to Stay Undefeated

No. 4 Florida State's 48-17 trouncing of Duke last Saturday still left Seminole coach Bobby Bowden unsettled.

"It scares you, the way they made their first couple of drives on you," Bowden said. "That scares you. I think when you play the Miamis, and the upper echelons -- if you can't dominate Duke, it scares you because of what's down the road."

The 'Noles (4-0, 3-0 in the ACC) face Louisville (2-2) at 7:30 p.m. today. The Cardinals handed Duke a 40-3 loss Sept. 7 and face their first ranked opponent in FSU.

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.