DeRoeck Excels in New Position

In her second year, deRoeck has developed into a steady force on the back line for the No. 11 North Carolina volleyball team, while growing into a new role on the team.

DeRoeck is UNC's libero. A new rule implemented in collegiate volleyball this year states the libero must wear a different colored jersey from the rest of her team.

The libero is allowed to substitute for any back row player without costing the team one of its 12 substitutions per game.

The libero is not allowed to block, attack a ball above the net, or most importantly for deRoeck, serve.

"Its allowed us to have a strong defensive player in the back row all the time and not have to worry about the substitution numbers," said UNC coach Joe Sagula. "The only downside is that they don't get to serve, and Caroline has a great serve."

DeRoeck said she has adjusted easily to the new role and that it has helped her performance this season.

"Its easier to stay in tempo; you're only out for a couple plays, and you're still in rhythm (when you get back)," she said.

Sagula said the new rule has been well-received by the team and most people involved in the sport.

He said it gives the team more consistency knowing there is always someone back on defense and has allowed him to use more situational substitutions.

The libero has also expanded the role of the middle hitters and forced them to develop more, because they must serve in place of where the defensive specialist used to.

The team has responded so well to the libero rule in part because deRoeck has skillfully adapted to the position.

DeRoeck is third on the team in digs per game this year, but she contributes most with her superior athleticism and speed.

"She gets to balls no one else can," said senior setter Eve Rackham. "Her skills are so much better than anyone in the ACC defensively."

She is also counted on to retrieve a majority of the serves and make most of the defensive plays.

DeRoeck added that she has also taken more of a leadership role at defensive specialist after a quiet freshman year.

The Tar Heels (14-1, 2-0 in the ACC) will need that leadership when they face one of their toughest challenges of the season at No. 23 Georgia Tech on Saturday. Sagula said he will depend on deRoeck to neutralize Tech's best players.

"I'd like her to be able to stop their two best outside hitters," he said. "I think Caroline has the ability to change momentum with some great digs."

Rackham said that with deRoeck's rapid development, the team has no problem relying on her.

"Last year, because she was a freshman she was a little more timid," she said. "She's always had the same athletic ability: she's the fastest, most athletic, strongest player I've ever played with in my life."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.