Durant Out for Rest of Season

Durant scheduled for thumb surgery today

Durant injured his thumb when it hit a helmet early in the third quarter of UNC's 37-27 loss to Virginia on Saturday.

He returned to the field after the hit but after one series took himself out of the game because he could not grip the ball. X-rays Sunday morning revealed the fracture, which resulted from a tendon pulling a piece of bone off the back of his thumb.

"He was in a position where he couldn't extend his thumb out," said Dan Hooker, UNC football's head athletic trainer.

The sophomore will have surgery today and will be out for at least six weeks, missing the Tar Heels' five remaining regular season contests. UNC would have to win four of those five to be eligible for a bowl bid.

Durant is 126 of 213 passing for 1,861 yards and 15 touchdowns through seven games this season and has rushed for 140 yards and one touchdown on 71 carries.

He turned in an efficient performance for the Tar Heels against Virginia, completing 14 of 18 passes for 226 yards and three touchdowns before leaving the game.

"The young man did a phenomenal job (Saturday)," said UNC coach John Bunting. "He threw the ball extremely well. We will miss him."

Durant will be replaced by junior C.J. Stephens, who never has started a collegiate game. Stephens has played in three games this season for the Tar Heels and completed 9 of 15 passes for 103 yards and one touchdown after replacing Durant in the third quarter Saturday. Stephens was sacked twice in the game.

"C.J. takes reps every day with the first unit, so we'll run a very similar package," Bunting said. "It's just another challenge for Coach Gary Tranquill, who is obviously very disappointed that Darian's out.

"C.J. Stephens has got to play, and I think he can play. And we're going to find out how well he can play real soon. We're all going to rally around him."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.