Field Hockey Falters Against Demon Deacons

Wake's first score came in the 12th minute when sophomore Kelly Dostal batted a pass from junior Kelly Doton past UNC goalkeeper Amy Tran.

The Deacs got their second goal in the 61st minute when senior Heather Aughinbaugh scored an unassisted tally.

Wake Forest had 15 shots to the Tar Heels' 14, but the UNC had four more penalty corners (11) than Wake (7).

The win was Wake's 12th consecutive and its 21st in a row at Kentner Stadium.

Wake has beaten the Tar Heels in the last five meetings, including a 2-1 win earlier this season in Chapel Hill. That game, on Sept. 29, was the season's designated ACC matchup.

On Saturday, the Tar Heels celebrated Senior Day at Henry Stadium by defeating Duke 3-1.

UNC started the day by honoring its three seniors -- Stephanie Fuller, Meredith Keller and Tran -- and their parents at midfield before start of the game.

Tied 1-1 in the second half, UNC's Laura Douglas scored her second goal of the game, and Alison Stewart sealed the win with a goal of her own in the 63rd minute, giving the three seniors a victory in their final home game of their Tar Heel careers.

UNC Tennis Duo Wins 4th Straight

MIDLAND, Texas -- A pair of North Carolina men's tennis standouts won their fourth straight doubles match of the tournament Sunday afternoon, resulting in victory in the doubles phase of the annual Midland Collegiate Tennis Championships.

Senior Trystan Meniane teamed with junior Nicholas Monroe to capture the title by a score of 8-5 over the duo of Roger Gubser and Drew Hoskins of Texas.

UNC will continue its season on Wednesday when it hosts the Omni Hotels/Intercollegiate Tennis Association Region II Indoor Tennis Championships at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.

Women's Golf in 5th Place

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- As of Saturday, the North Carolina women's golf team stood in fifth place at the 2002 Mercedes-Benz Women's Championship with a 611 total and just eight strokes off the lead.

UNC's Ashley Prange fired a two-under-par 70, landing her in sole possession of first place with a two round total of 142.

Other Tar Heels in action include freshman Josie Shinn, who has a two-round total of 154. Junior Meaghan Francella shot a combined 159 in the first two rounds, and seniors Meghan Adams and Abby Spector have a 161.

The 54-hole event continued through Sunday at the Gettysvue Polo Golf Country, but scores were not available at press time.