Homecoming, Class Gift Votes Today

The day has come to vote for Homecoming king and queen, as well as the senior class gift -- the first time the two elections have been held online the same day.

This year all students can vote online through Student Central for Homecoming king and queen between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. Seniors have the same option for the senior class gift and can vote between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m.

The candidates for Homecoming queen are Rhonda Patterson, Susan Peters and Margaret Young. Larry Braithwaite and Berry French are each running for Homecoming king.

Each candidate is touting a unique service project.

Patterson, a senior Spanish and communication studies major sponsored by the Black Student Movement, has proposed a service project titled, "Home is Where the Heart Is," which focuses on organ donation.

Peters, a senior health policy and administration major under the sponsorship of Sangam, the South Asian awareness organization, will promote different cultures by teaching two classes to high school and middle school students.

Young, a senior international studies major sponsored by the Residence Hall Association, hopes to start a project called "Housing for Housing" that will combine the efforts of Habitat for Humanity with the residence hall programs.

Braithwaite, a senior public policy major sponsored by UNC Learning from Experience, will promote reading in schools through a project called "Our Authors of Tomorrow."

French, a senior leisure studies and recreation administration major sponsored by the Campus Y, has proposed a service project with the group's Hunger and Homelessness Outreach Project Committee that would include a day of recreational activities for underprivileged children.

Along with voting for Homecoming king and queen, seniors can vote from the choice of three options for this year's senior class gift. Seniors can choose from an Undergraduate Library endowment of at least $20,000 that would keep the library's resources current; an artistic glass etching on four windows and an art gallery in the Campus Y that would include a scene memorializing Sept. 11; and a special-needs scholarship that would be given through the Office of Scholarship and Student Aid. The scholarship would fund incidentals that college students incur like clothes for interviews or travel.

Senior Class President Paymon Rouhanifard said he hopes that with students also voting for Homecoming king and queen online today, there will be a higher turnout in seniors voting for the class gift. "Last year's senior class officers were the first to conduct the class gift vote online, and they consequently had a great showing," Rouhanifard said. "They saw an increase from 470 to 718 votes."

Rouhanifard said he will vote for the Sept. 11 memorial because of the gift's significance to UNC. "However, I'm equally excited about all the gift choices because we've worked hard to present three great gift ideas, and I hope the seniors will evaluate each before casting their votes."