Keeping Everything Going Smoothly

Johnson keeps details in line

The job of Mike Johnson, assistant director of the Student Union, is to keep it this way.

"I do my best to make events happen and happen smoothly," Johnson said.

Since 1996, Johnson has helped coordinate University Day as a full-time employee of the Student Union. He also worked with production services during his years as a UNC student.

"I got a job with the Union because my roommate said it was a good place to work," Johnson said.

"I progressed up to student supervisor by taking the hardest and most complex shows because they were fun -- that's how I learned."

Johnson's work is aided by a team of two full-time professionals and 70 part-time student employees.

"We try to give the student employees a lot of responsibility in managing these events," he said.

"It's a learning opportunity for them to gain experience while on campus."

Don Luse, director of the Student Union, said Johnson's job is an important one.

"He makes sure that sound is there, the lights work and people get seated -- the little details that no one notices unless they don't work right," Luse said.

Jennifer Fields, director of University events, said problems with sound are huge concerns.

She and a committee led by the provost work with Johnson to prevent logistical problems from occurring.

"We trust his judgment and expertise and use his advice," Fields said.

University Day is not something that gets thrown together overnight. Fields said the committee has been preparing for it for months.

Johnson said he functions as a stress reliever by being as cooperative as possible.

"It's important to be helpful to the people making the event happen so they don't have to worry," Johnson said.

Jane Smith, associate director of University events, said Johnson is conscientious.

"He tends to be real low-key and soft-spoken, but he directs the actions of a lot of other people," Smith said.

"You won't see him center stage, but he'll be walking around behind the scenes."

Johnson said University Day requires many hours of planning and is not always easy for the event planners because there are a lot of things that can go wrong.

"We relieve some anxiety by making sure our part goes well," Johnson said.

Luse said that with Johnson's technical experience he obtained a job with a large performing arts venue but that he chose to return to UNC for the opportunity of working with the students.

"You can count on him," Luse said. "You might see him walking around in a coat and tie at a performing arts event, but when everyone leaves he puts a T-shirt on and helps the crew move everything out."

This year represents a venue change for University Day.

Because of construction in Memorial Hall, it will be held in Hill Hall instead Saturday.

Johnson said events like University Day are important to the community.

"They fulfill a role of University life outside of the classroom," he said. "It feels good to know I help to make these events happen."

Luse said Johnson has shown a tremendous commitment to students and to the University in his role with University Day and other campus events.

"He is the quiet presence that makes sure everything gets done."

To nominate someone who has made an outstanding contribution to the University community to be a Star Heel, e-mail features@unc.edu.