Lax Player Kicked Off Team After Arrest

Chapel Hill police arrested Hayes, 20, of 527 Morrison Residence Hall at 4:07 a.m. on one charge each of driving while intoxicated, possession of an open container, driving left of center, possessing a fake ID and a provisional license violation, reports state.

Hayes could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Police noticed his gray 1993 Jeep driving over the center lane, reports state.

Hayes was arrested after he performed poorly on field sobriety tests and registered a .14 blood alcohol level at the scene. He was released from custody on a written promise to appear in Orange County District Court in Chapel Hill on Nov. 5.

"He is no longer a member of our lacrosse team after this unfortunate incident," said Dave Lohse, director of media relations for olympic sports. "He already was on a probationary status with the team for another incident, and obviously something of this nature violated the status of that probation, and therefore he has been dismissed."

Hayes, a sophomore from Chevy Chase, Md., was expected to play midfield for the Tar Heels this year. Hayes already was practicing with the team this fall with the knowledge that his scholarship would be revoked in the spring following his alleged involvement in an incident that occurred this summer.

During the summer, three lacrosse players were working at a UNC summer camp and had access to a van owned by the Department of Athletics. Inside the van the players found a credit card, and two players used it to purchase $94 worth of beer at Spinx Oil Co. at 421 W. Main St. in Carrboro on July 21.

As a result, former player Jonathan Manekin, 22, and Matthew Pessango, 20, were charged with one count each of misdemeanor financial transaction card fraud, according to Carrboro Police Investigator Gary Blankenship.

Lohse said Hayes played a role in the incident. Hayes did not purchase beer with the card, however, and was not formally charged in this incident. His scholarship was revoked for the spring season, and he was to be suspended from the first three regular season games.

Hayes was permitted to practice with the team during the fall season, and his probation was set to begin in the spring.

UNC coach John Haus could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.