O.C. Chamber Has New Leader

Cannell will officially take over Oct. 14. In the meantime, she will remain Orange County's economic development assistant, her position for the past five years.

"The main difference between this new job and my old job is having an allegiance to chamber members," Cannell said. "But being an economic development assistant first is a good lead to being president of the Chamber of Commerce."

County Manager John Link said he approves of Cannell's appointment.

"She has already done an outstanding job with the economic development program throughout the county," he said. "She has the enthusiasm, experience and energy needed."

County commissioners also said they are pleased with the board of directors' decision to choose Cannell.

"I am very happy for her and glad that we've got someone with her confidence," said chairman Barry Jacobs.

Commissioner Moses Carey said Cannell was the most qualified candidate.

"She will give the chamber a shot in the arm," he said. "She is the best person to carry out the activities of the chamber."

Cannell, originally from Maners, said she will be a great person for the job because she has enthusiasm and excitement about working with business people of Orange County and promoting membership businesses.

Her specific plans include updating the Chamber of Commerce Web site for easy access and working with area newspapers. Cannell said she hopes to publish commerce newsletters and profile members of the chamber.

Cannell said she will execute the plans by talking to people in the community and working closely with chamber members.

"The chamber has been without a director since February," she said. "So I will actively get involved with current members and see what they would like done."

Cannell also said there need to be businesses that will provide internships for students as they continue their education. "We need business that would employ all educational levels, and this will eventually lead to more detailed careers," she said.

Cannell said she wants to serve the community, as well as chamber members. She said involving Orange County residents will help member businesses grow, which will help the growth of the county's businesses as a whole.

Cannell said she will look to expand business in the county, namely with a new shopping center that will include a Wal-Mart. "Hillsborough and the northern part of Orange County is ripe for development and is conservative enough for members to want to do it."

But she said that the county will not become infested with big business and that she wants existing businesses to flourish as well.

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.