Officials Host Mental Health Forum

The forum's goal was to give the commissioners a chance to compile residents' interests and find key points to address or set as high priorities when drafting a proposal for the N.C. House of Representatives, the deadline for which is Jan. 1.

Board of Commissioners Chairman Barry Jacobs said, "We wanted to hear the opinion of people closest to the situation on how to maintain and improve service provisions."

Attendees were invited to separate into groups to "participate in the discussion, ask questions and listen," according to the meeting's agenda.

One element of mental health reform discussed was the Orange-Person-Chatham Area Program, a collaborative effort between the three counties to draft a strategic plan to address the demands of state reform.

OPC staff led the groups in the deliberation of residents' positions on services for the disabled, substance abusers, Hispanics, the hard of hearing, those with child and family issues and mental health.

Tom Maynard, the OPC program director, gave a presentation to attendees addressing the reform movement, including the objectives, principles and major changes brought about by the reform.

"We want to make sure the public has a say before the plan for Orange, Person and Chatham counties is written," Maynard said. "We want to do it well locally."

Speakers from each of the seven groups shared their interest in reforming the mental health system, emphasizing the ability of local agencies to make services available and accessible to consumers.

Ellen Perry, an Orange County resident, said people who will be affected by mental health reform want to be involved in any plans that directly affect their lives. "We want a choice about where we work, play, live and retire."

Transportation, housing, money and the connection between crime, homelessness and substance abuse topped the list of concerns for residents.

"I'm afraid of people falling through the cracks," said Chapel Hill resident Dick Harmsen. "The system needs to address issues concerning the incredible amounts of money spent on institutions that should be used in the community to help one person at a time."

Many residents said family support systems, including education and child care, were top priority.

Sen. Ellie Kinnaird, D-Orange, said her primary concerns for Orange County reform were that there are not enough facilities to adequately accommodate the need and not enough money available to build new ones.

The commissioners say all the ideas from Tuesday's meeting are important and will be addressed before drafting and approving the reform proposal.

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.