PlayMakers To Conduct Open Tryouts

"Salome" seeking student dancers

The play, originally written in French by Oscar Wilde, is an erotically charged retelling of the Biblical tale of Salome the dancer. Banned from performance in Victorian England, the story focuses on Salome's lust for John the Baptist as well as the decadence of human passion.

PlayMakers, located in the Paul Green Theatre on UNC's campus, is a nonprofit professional theater company. Artistic Director David Hammond, who also is co-directing the play, said the company will cast about 20 performers with a combination of acting and dancing skills.

"This is a large cast with a wonderful choreographer, skilled in African dance," he said. "We are looking for a large corps -- people with some kind of dance experience."

PlayMakers plans to take a multicultural approach to its production, using the unique talents of Associate Artist and Co-director Trezana Beverley.

Beverley, a Tony Award-winning actress, led a six-week "African-American Classic Theatre Workshop" last year, which was hosted by PlayMakers. The workshop focused on integrating classical texts with African storytelling and dance styles in an effort to stretch theater beyond traditionally Western interpretations.

Beverley has a rich background in cultural and artistic fusion. As president and artistic director of New York's OdD Socks Productions, she developed "DanzActing," a form of dramatic dance that she incorporated into her workshop.

"We are African Americans, and ritual, dance and sound are very integrated in our expression," she told The Daily Tar Heel during an interview last year.

Beverley's previous collaboration with PlayMakers has led to an extended partnership, one that is expected to last for the next couple of years.

In the company's production of "Salome," Hammond hopes to continue exploring other theatrical traditions, particularly ones from Africa and Asia.

But Hammond added that all interested performers, no matter their background, are encouraged to audition.

"(We are looking for) a mixed community of actors from all different heritages to explore this form," Hammond said.

The production is co-sponsored by the Sonja Haynes Stone Black Cultural Center, and Beverley most likely will be offering workshops in conjunction with the center later in the year.

Performers interested in auditioning should submit a photo and r