Recovery, Thanks At UNC Hospitals

David Creecy was burned in Bali attack

"Just focus on this," he told his brother.

Marc Creecy, brother of Bali bombing victim David Creecy, held a photograph taken in September of David Creecy and David Creecy's wife, Jackie, for David Creecy to see in his bed in the intensive care unit at the N.C. Jaycee Burn Center at UNC Hospitals.

This show of optimism is just one of innumerable displays of support and love that have taken place since David Creecy, 49, survived the blast of a terrorist bomb in Bali made of compounds stockpiled by groups allegedly tied to al-Qaida.

The bombing occurred Oct. 12 and killed more than 200 people in a tourist-packed area. David Creecy, a resident of the Outer Banks, was in an Irish pub during the blast and had to fight his way out, Marc Creecy said.

Michael Peck, the burn center's director, who is in charge of David Creecy's care, had been consulting by phone with those in Singapore caring for him since the day of the bombing.

David Creecy arrived in Chapel Hill on Sunday after a MedEvac flight from Singapore brought him to Raleigh-Durham International Airport.

Peck said in a press conference Thursday at the N.C. Women's Hospital that David Creecy, who has second-degree burns covering 60 percent of his body, is not unstable in any way despite being listed in critical condition because of the intense level of care he requires.

"His biggest challenge is, number one, dealing with the pain of the burn wounds and, number two, coming to terms with his loss of strength and endurance," Peck said.

He also said physical and occupational therapy will be integral to David Creecy's recovery as soon as his wounds heal.

Norma Mills, general counsel for state Sen. Marc Basnight, was central to arranging for David Creecy's return to the United States. "She is now, and always will remain, a cherished member of our extended family," Marc Creecy said at the press conference.

The Creecy family also praised David Creecy's three traveling companions from the Outer Banks for their frantic and dedicated search for him after the bombing. "They did all this while they themselves were still traumatized by what they'd seen," Marc Creecy said.

Jackie Creecy said she has been offered support from a slew of people, even homeowners whose pools she and her husband maintain. "People from all over the world, even Singapore, have asked me what they can do."

The Creecys have been living in a hotel since David Creecy was transported to the burn center. David and Jackie Creecy's children Tyler, 18, and Caitlin, 12, have been receiving support -- academic and personal -- from their friends and schools in Kill Devil Hills.

Jackie Creecy said she is able to see her husband making progress every day. "He's very aware of us there -- we know that."