Student Arrested On GBL Charges To Get Treatment

Charges against Ryncavage could be dropped in January.

In an agreement made between the judge, district attorney and defense attorney, freshman Justin Ryncavage formerly of 239 Craige North Residence Hall was ordered to participate in Project Turn Around.

Project Turn Around is a program for first-time drug offenders. Participants in this project have to pay fees, attend treatment groups and have random urine screenings, said Courtney Kennedy, the case manager for Project Turn Around.

If Ryncavage completes the program, the charges will be dismissed in January and he will be eligible to have the charges erased from his record. "The main thing the system is trying to do is make sure it doesn't happen again," said Ryncavage's lawyer Michael Levine.

Ryncavage was arrested in connection with the possession of the chemical gamma-butyrolactone, a clear liquid used for floor stripper and paint thinner. GBL also can be used to make a date rape drug called gamma-hydroxybutyrate.

But Levine said Ryncavage had no intention of giving the drug to other people.

According to the FDA, many athletes take the drug as a dietary supplement to build muscle. Levine said that the use of GBL is not prohibited by the NCAA.

Levine said Ryncavage, who he said is an All-American track star who was recruited by UNC for field events, had used the chemical once to help him relax and sleep.

Ryncavage was brought to the emergency room during that incident and has not used the drug since, Levine said. According to Levine, Ryncavage threw away the rest of the chemicals.

But two days later another package containing the chemical was allegedly mailed to Ryncavage and intercepted by the U.S. Postal Service as part of a drug sweep. Ryncavage was arrested by University police and a postal inspector when the second package was delivered in a set-up delivery.

Police did not find any chemicals that could be combined with GBL to make GHB when they searched Ryncavage's room, Levine said.

"(Ryncavage) felt that he did not do anything wrong because the statute says that you have to possess (GBL) and have the intention of making something illegal with it," Levine said. "This is not a controlled substance, this is a precursor chemical."

Levine said possession of GBL is similar to possession of sodium or iodine, both of which can be used to make drugs.

Although Ryncavage will have the opportunity to remove the incident from his record, Levine said he does not consider this a victory.

"We weren't satisfied with (the compromise) because we don't think he did anything wrong, but we don't want to go through the expense and emotional drain of a trial."