Students, Parents Walk to School to Promote Health

2 local elementary schools participate.

The event was part of a worldwide event to promote health safety, physical activity and a concern for the environment.

Parents, students, school administrators, Sen. Ellie Kinnaird, D-Orange, UNC's Active Living by Design program and even the UNC ram mascot were at the event.

With colorful balloons lining the walkway, participants enjoyed breads, juices and coffee in a festive atmosphere.

Ephesus Assistant Principal Nathan Hester said the event was spearheaded by a group of parents -- led by Greg and Boykin Bell -- who took the initiative to coordinate the volunteers and sponsors.

"We encourage safe walking with our crossing guards and safety patrol," he said.

"Anytime you have kids and traffic, safety is the number one issue."

One of the original founders of the International Walk to School Day, Mark Fenton, said this is the sixth year the event has been held in the United States and the third year there has been international participation.

Ephesus and Glenwood elementary schools were the only schools in Chapel Hill to participate in the event.

"We want everyone to live more active physical lifestyles," Fenton said. "Our goal in this event is to stimulate awareness and build coalitions that bring long-term improvements."

Kinnaird said she thought the event sent an important message to parents and children. "This is an important issue in terms of health and traffic," she said. "It should be safe for kids to walk to school."

Will Therrien, father of 5-year-old Roarke, said they didn't walk to school just because it was an international event.

"We live in a nearby neighborhood, and we walk as many days as we can," he said.

And Lisa English, parent of third grader Ellie, said having a walk zone is important.

"The event shows people how important the school walk zone is, and being a community school is something that is important to everyone," she said.

Another sponsor of the event, the UNC School of Public Health's Active Living by Design program, wanted the event at Ephesus to be a model for other area schools.

Active Living by Design Director Richard Killingsworth said that while many parents and teachers view walking to school as a one-day event, his program sees it as an everyday event.

"Although all children can't walk or bike to school, we can make sure that they have a part in the decision making (in the school)."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.