Tar Heels Anxious for 1st Victory at Kenan

Coach John Bunting's squad is 2-0 on the road, winning at Syracuse and Arizona State, but 0-3 at Kenan Stadium this year.

The Tar Heels will have a chance to change that trend Saturday against unbeaten N.C. State.

"We're going to play at home and obviously it would be nice to do something good at home this week," Bunting said Tuesday at his weekly press conference. "Looking forward to this game, obviously it's a huge game, a big rivalry, something that you look forward to as a coach, something you look forward to as players. It'll be fun to prepare."

The slow start at home is particularly frustrating to Bunting because he wants to make Kenan Stadium an intimidating place for visiting teams to play.

That's why he went to the Smith Center on Tuesday morning to visit with UNC fans waiting for tickets and to get them excited for the game.

He has also supported the Blue Blitz campaign, an effort to unify Kenan's stands by getting Tar Heel fans to wear light blue shirts at the game.

"I'm hoping that the Blue Blitz is out there," Bunting said. "That's part of our culture change we're trying to get going here at Carolina. Get everybody wearing blue, it's the way it should be, the way it will be eventually, but I'm looking forward to that."

Mooring Could Return Saturday

UNC defensive end Issac Mooring is still recovering from broken bones in his hand, and his status is uncertain for Saturday. Bunting said Mooring will "practice full" this week and will be assessed later.

The Tar Heels had high hopes for Mooring before the season, and still expect him to contribute.

"He had a great spring last year and had a pretty good summer," Bunting said. "He had some injuries over the summer and I think that has held him back, and he's limited now. Will he be a factor? Yes."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.