UNC Freshman-to-Be Energizes U.S. Team

O'Reilly, 17, from East Brunswick, N.J., has committed to UNC for next year, but she already has begun to make her mark on the international soccer scene. She redirected a Julie Foudy cross in the 69th minute to score her first international goal and give the United States a 2-0 lead to deny Italy any hope of a comeback.

"Scoring the first goal is an awesome feeling," she said. "It was a great ball from Foudy, and all I had to do was tap it in."

O'Reilly's impact as a late substitute keyed a second-half surge by the U.S. offense, which had been stymied early. Focus on possession and defensive play in the first half resulted in few scoring chances for either side.

American forwards finally broke through the Italian defense early in the second half when Lilly headed a Foudy cross, driving it into the net for a 1-0 lead.

"I think our defensive intensity picked up in the second half," Hamm said. "We were putting pressure on their backs to try to make services as opposed to their outside midfielders."

The United States continued to attack even after O'Reilly's goal, with Joy Fawcett and Brandi Chastian each scoring.

"In the second half we turned it up a little more, and we started finishing them off," Lilly said.

O'Reilly's first international goal, however, was an especially bright spot in the victory. "(O'Reilly) obviously brings a tremendous amount of speed and youth to this team, and every single practice, every single game, she's always excited to play," said former Tar Heel Cindy Parlow. "Some of us don't have that enthusiasm every single day, but she brings that, and it's contagious."

Hamm, who entered the game in the second half, agreed. "She will do absolutely anything to help her team win, even if that's sitting on the bench and cheering as loud as she can," Hamm said.

O'Reilly's experiences with the national team have given her an early taste of UNC's legacy, as seven of her teammates are former or current Tar Heels.

"An attraction to the University of North Carolina is just the legends that they've had: Mia, Lilly and the whole crew," O'Reilly said. "I almost feel like I'm already a Tar Heel just hanging out with these guys the last few weeks."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.