Virginia Victimizes UNC in 2nd-Half Surge

Tar Heels relinquish 21-point lead in loss

North Carolina's 21-point lead against Virginia was quickly disintegrating, and the quarterback could do nothing but watch.

An early third-quarter thumb injury sidelined Durant during UVa.'s 37-27 second-half stomping of the Tar Heels on Saturday and will keep him off the playing field for the remainder of UNC's regular season.

"It was terrible (watching from the sideline)," Durant said. "I was playing so well. I felt like I was in a really good rhythm."

That rhythm looked like it was going to knock the Cavaliers off-beat and give UNC (2-5, 0-3 in the ACC) its first win at Scott Stadium in 21 years. Durant completed 9 of 12 passes for 155 yards and three touchdowns -- including a 77-yard bomb to Sam Aiken -- to build a 21-0 Tar Heel lead heading into the break.

"We jumped on them," UNC coach John Bunting said. "We felt pretty good about going out there in the second half and just got slapped in the face."

The Cavaliers (6-2, 4-1) backhanded the Tar Heels with a 100-yard kickoff return complements of sophomore Marquis Weeks to open the second half.

But the Tar Heels seemed to have a reciprocal punch in store.

Indeed, a fateful hit did occur in the next series, but it certainly wasn't in the Tar Heels' favor.

Durant completed four consecutive passes to move downfield. He found Aiken on the right side of the field nearing the end zone, and it seemed that the Tar Heels would reclaim their 21-point lead.

Two things quickly occurred to prevent that from happening. On his throw to Aiken, Durant nailed his thumb on another player's helmet. Meanwhile, Cavalier cornerback Almondo Curry -- former UNC QB Ronald's cousin -- waxed Aiken after his catch and out popped the ball.

Curry recovered the ball, and the Tar Heels -- well, North Carolina never really recovered at all.

"Things happen," said Aiken, who caught seven passes for 179 yards and two touchdowns. "I was trying to make a big play, and the defensive back did what he was supposed to do."

And if Virginia's assignment for the day was to cement its reputation as a second-half team, it certainly got the job done.

Cavalier quarterback Matt Schaub drove the ball 98 yards on the next series, capping it with an 8-yard touchdown pass to Billy McMullen. Then Virginia displayed a formerly dormant running game. Schaub handed off the ball for eight straight plays, with true freshman Wali Lundy barreling in a 2-yard run to tie the game.

The Cavs rushed for 229 yards Saturday -- 142 of which came in the second half -- more than their last three games combined.

"I have never been associated with a team that has been more remarkable than this one," Virginia coach Al Groh said.

A frustrated Tar Heel defense could do nothing to halt Virginia's second-half scoring spree. UVa.'s 37 points were more than any opponent has ever scored against UNC in a half.

"Everything we said we weren't going to do, we did," UNC defensive end Will Chapman said. "Missed assignments. Letting them go down and score. Letting them drive it down on us. We're a fragile defense."

Durant's injury denied the offense of stability, as well. Backup QB C.J. Stephens hadn't played in a game since early September. He brought UNC within 10 with 1:01 left, but when a pass interference penalty was called on the Tar Heels on their two-point conversion attempt, any hope of a comeback UNC-style dissipated.

"You've got to put two halves together," Bunting said.

"This is the second week in a row we have not been able to come out and finish the job."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.