Volleyball Continues Streak With Weekend ACC Road Wins

The No. 11 Tar Heels swept the Virginia Cavaliers 3-0 Saturday in Charlottesville one night after defeating a determined Maryland squad 3-1 in a four game slugfest in College Park.

"To play two different types of teams, on the road, in the middle of the season where you're really grinding things out, I think its huge for us," said UNC coach Joe Sagula.

The two wins during the weekend lifted the Tar Heels to 20-1 for the season (7-0 in the ACC) -- an unprecedented feat.

"I didn't really realize until tonight that we were 20-1 -- that's phenomenal," said middle hitter Holly Strauss. "It raises the bar for the rest of the season as well. I think it gives us a lot of determination and drive to keep on pushing it to see how far we can take it."

But Strauss almost had less of a reason to be upbeat following the victory against Virginia. Early in the third game, Strauss hobbled off the floor with an injury originally diagnosed as a left foot sprain.

"I was concerned because it was the same ankle that I had reconstructive surgery on," Strauss said. "Automatically you expect the worst, but it's minor so I think I'll be OK in about a week."

Strauss is expected to miss the team's match Tuesday against last place N.C. State, but should be ready to play against Florida State in Tallahassee on Sunday.

UNC was forced to pull out a gritty victory against the Cavaliers (7-17, 1-7) in a near-empty University Hall that was devoid of any energy. The match lacked any sustained runs, although UNC seemingly won handily, 30-21, 30-19, 30-23.

"I think it was a tough match playing against an opponent that's so-so in an environment that's so emotionally draining," Sagula said. "That we sustained and maintained our level of play throughout the match was outstanding."

The main source of the excitement was Malaika Underwood who supplied the team with the point of the night, running deep into the corner and pulling out a one-handed dig while barely avoiding crashing into the wall.

The game the previous night in Maryland (14-9, 3-5) was a stark contrast to the Virginia match. Sagula likened the game against the Terrapins, a hard-fought defensive contest played before an enthusiastic crowd, to a prize fight.

UNC was the first to land significant blows, using a 17-4 run to come from behind and close out the first game and a 9-1 run to pull away in the second. Maryland countered in the third game, capitalizing on the only real sloppy play by UNC all weekend.

But the Tar Heels came back and raced to a 6-2 lead that they would not relinquish, ultimately battering the Terps 30-19.

"I just have a lot of respect for their defense at Maryland and how hard they play," Sagula said. "They always make you earn your win."

Sagula said he knows the team has yet to accomplish its biggest goals. "A good finish is more important than a good start."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.