Defense Key to Volleyball Success

The No. 13 Tar Heels frustrated Clemson on Saturday, recording 10 blocks to keep the Tigers' offense from finding any sort of groove.

The night before, North Carolina held the Yellow Jackets to a hitting percentage of .191, well below their .290 average entering the game.

Tech's outside hitter Lynette Moster looked frustrated during the entire match, recording 16 kills with a .153 hitting percentage.

Frustrating opponents because of a strong team defense has been a recurring theme for the Tar Heels this season.

"Our defense is probably the reason why we have a successful year," said Coach Joe Sagula. "We're a great offensive team, we're a good blocking team, but if we don't dig balls, we're not going to win."

Going into this weekend's matches, North Carolina has been holding opponents to a hitting percentage of only .169, while placing second in the ACC in both blocks (2.71 per game) and digs (16.38).

Individually, Greene's 3.68 digs per game is second in the ACC. And middle hitter Aletha Green is averaging 1.31 blocks per game, which would be good enough to lead the conference if she had played in two-thirds of the team's games.

When asked about which players key UNC's defense, the same names kept popping up -- Greene, who is the team's career leader in digs, Malaika Underwood and Caroline deRoeck.

Sagula called deRoeck the quickest player in the ACC and praised Greene and Underwood for not only being good defensive players, but being experienced ones, who know where they're supposed to be on the court to make plays.

This season's addition of the libero position has made the defense more fluid.

"You always have one of your better passers, a quick player out there," deRoeck said. "What you always have is somebody out there and it doesn't take away from your substitutions."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.