French, Peters Crowned as UNC Royalty

"I really appreciate the people sticking around through that first half and getting rowdy during the ceremony," said French, who was sponsored by the Campus Y.

French won with 2,003 votes, 60 percent of the vote, and Peters won queen with 40 percent of the vote, a total of 1,252.

In the queen race, runner-up Rhonda Patterson received 1,165 votes while Margaret Young got 703. Runner-up Larry Braithwaite received 1,354 votes for king.

While waiting eagerly on the sideline for the announcement, the candidates danced in line with their escorts to a Carolina medley played by the UNC marching band. "Yeah, I was doing a little shaggin' out there," said French, describing his dance.

French was escorted by his mother, Nancy, a UNC alumna.

The candidates' names were called as they marched to the center of the field, where they waited for the announcement.

When French heard his name, he pumped his right arm wildly in the air.

The crowd's cheers for French drowned out Peters' name when it was called next. "I didn't really hear my name," said Peters, who was sponsored by Sangam, the South Asian awareness organization. "I heard the end of my last name, but it took my escort tugging on my arm for me to realize I won."

Peters said the ceremony was memorable regardless of the results. "I think the main thing was representing (UNC), not winning or losing."

This year marks the first time in 11 years that a member of the Black Student Movement did not win at least one of the titles. Patterson was sponsored by BSM.

"There is a sense of disappointment when you support a candidate and they don't win," said Erin Davis, BSM secretary.

Davis said she believed both Patterson and Braithwaite would still run their service projects, but the runners-up couldn't be reached for comment Sunday.

Now that French and Peters have been crowned, they will begin their required service projects.

French's project will be coordinated with the Campus Y's Hunger and Homelessness Outreach Project committee to create a one-day carnival for underprivileged children. He said that he would begin more planning this week but that the activity will take place next semester.

Peters will run a two-part diversity campaign that will include diversity classes and a multicultural fashion show for high school and middle school students.

Peters said all of the planning is done for her project other than finding a venue. She hopes that her new title will provide her with some leverage in securing one.

While the game didn't favor UNC, members of the Homecoming court said that halftime was memorable. French said, "The game wasn't that exciting, but I tell you, halftime was great."