Friends of Bolin Creek Get Town Support

The Friends of Bolin Creek is a conservationist group dedicated to preserving the Bolin Creek Corridor.

"(Bolin Creek) is the heart and soul of Carrboro and Chapel Hill," said member Julie McClintock.

The group was created a year ago by member Dave Cook, had its first meeting in April 2002 and became an officially recognized organization in July.

"We currently have 12 steering committee members and a total of 75 to 100 members," said Doug Nicholas, the group's liaison to the community.

In its proposal, the group gave four reasons why preserving Bolin Creek is important.

Members said the Bolin Creek watershed must be preserved because construction upstream can lead to bigger problems, such as flooding, around the University Mall and Camelot Apartment complex area.

The group also insisted on connecting existing parklands and greenways to allow for recreation use. It wants to expand the Chapel Hill Greenway from Airport Road to Estes Drive by building a bridge over the creek to allow residents and wildlife to use it.

The Friends of Bolin Creek also want to protect the last intact core natural areas of Orange County and hope to leave a legacy by preserving natural land so future generations can enjoy it.

"Now is the time to think about protecting this resource in the community," Nicholas said. "Once it's gone, it's gone forever."

The group's plan is to have Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Orange Water and Sewer Authority, UNC, Orange County and Duke University cooperate in protecting this regional resource.

It requested that Chapel Hill start the process by joining with Orange County in committing to protect the Bolin Creek Corridor.

After the presentation, the council unanimously voted to approve the petition. "I full-heartedly support the vision held for us," said council member Jim Ward.

The Friends of Bolin Creek do not oppose urbanization and say it is possible to protect nature while developing the town.

Nicholas described a "vision for Chapel Hill-Carrboro 'Central Park'" during the group's presentation. He said it is possible to preserve the Bolin Creek area in the midst of urbanization similar to actions taken for Rock Creek Park in Washington, D.C.

"This came about because people realized it had to be protected as urbanization increased," he said.

Members of the group are optimistic that their vision will become a reality.

"Our optimism is infinite," said Chairman Dave Otto.

"I haven't met a single person who is not enthusiastic."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.