Grant To Strengthen PR Programs In Russia

The $280,000 grant, which was established to improve educational relationships between U.S. universities and newly independent states, will be used for the next three years to improve the public relations programs in two Russian universities: Moscow State University for International Relations, which goes by MGIMO, and Irkutsk State University in eastern Siberia.

MGIMO is the leading Russian University for a professional degree in public relations. The university also plays a role in forming the public relations curricula in other regional Russian universities.

"MGIMO is like Russia's Harvard," said Richard Cole, dean of the UNC School of Journalism and Mass Communication.

Irkutsk was chosen to participate in the project because UNC officials wanted a regional viewpoint to be represented in the formation of the new curricula.

"What we're doing is exporting the way we teach public relations to this vast country of Russia," said Cole. "Public relations is much more important in Russia than it's ever been. ... Enrollment in public relations in colleges is mushrooming, so this is a pretty important grant."

Officials said MGIMO has not yet developed an in-depth public relations program, although it does offer some classes.

The grant was made possible through the UNC-MGIMO program, which began in 1990. The program involves collaboration between the two schools and fosters interaction between faculty in the two universities.

The program also helped bring the Russian ambassador to UNC to speak last year. Starting this summer, UNC students will be able to take advantage of educational opportunities at MGIMO.

David Pike, professor of Germanic languages and director of the UNC-MGIMO project, will be traveling to Moscow this summer with political science Professor Timothy McKeown and journalism Professor Chuck Stone.

Pike said public relations will be important in the process of democratization in Russia.

He said Russian handling of the recent hostage situation highlights the country's need for better trained public relations representatives.

"Public relations figures in every aspect of an open, public, civil society," Pike said. "If public relations professionals are trained correctly, they will be taught not to lie or pull the wool over the eyes of the public."

The program to enrich public relations will begin in November when one professor from each Russian university will come to UNC for three weeks. During their stay, the professors will observe public relations classes and collaborate with faculty and students in the journalism school.

Then, in December, three UNC faculty members -- Dulcie Straughan, professor and head of the public relations sequence; Larry Lamb, professor of journalism; and Cole -- will go to MGIMO to lay the ground-work for the curriculum.

"I have to say I think (the program) will be beneficial (for UNC)," Straughan said. "I think it will help open our eyes to the possibilities of public relations on an international level."