Hashagen Proposes Honor Code Reform

SACC member has list of system changes.

In his report, senior Fred Hashagen, a member of the Student Advisory Committees to the Chancellor and to the UNC Board of Trustees, suggests that the University more clearly define honor and integrity and make honor a more tangible concept on campus.

He also calls for disallowing students who are convicted of an honor violation to graduate with distinction or honors, creating an "honor distinction" for graduating seniors and bringing honor into the application process with a possible question asking applicants to define what honor is to them.

Hashagen sent the proposals to many members of the administration, faculty and Student Congress, and he said he has been pleased with the reactions so far.

"People have indicated positive responses to at least portions of my proposal," Hashagen said.

Although he gave the report to six students on the Committee on Student Conduct, Chairwoman Judith Wegner was surprised to hear of Hashagen's ideas. COSC is the committee heading the ongoing Honor Court review, but Wegner had not yet seen Hashagen's proposals.

Hashagen said that after giving the report to the student members of COSC, he left it in their hands whether to pass it on to Wegner.

In Hashagen's opinion, COSC isn't necessarily the right place to ultimately implement these changes because his proposal will not, for the most part, change the Instrument of Student Judicial Governance or the Student Code.

Wegner said although COSC welcomes all recommendations, the best time to investigate Hashagen's ideas most likely would be after COSC finishes its revision of the instrument, scheduled for completion at the end of the semester.

"If (Hashagen) or anyone else has thoughts, I say please pass them on," Wegner said. "It's not too late, but our commitment is to gel something together and present it to the chancellor, the Faculty Council and Student Congress by the end of the semester."

Hashagen said that his proposals are far from finished and that he looks forward to input from members of the campus community. "There certainly is room for a lot of discussion with these proposals," Hashagen said. "Nothing negative can come from a serious dialogue on honor."

As a member of SACC, Hashagen said that he got the feeling much of the focus in the revision of the honor system is on making it more publicized but that he doesn't think publicity is the main flaw in the system.

"It's kind of like advertising for a product that you give a name to but you never see it or know what it does," Hashagen said. "I don't think people are unaware that there's an honor system. However, I do think that people are unable to put their finger on the broader concepts of honor and integrity, and that to me is where the discussion should start."

Hashagen also said he has been pleased with the amount of acceptance he and his proposals have received.

"For me, one of the most encouraging parts of this proposal has been everyone's willingness to let me join this discussion," Hashagen said. "That willingness to empower all students to join the process is a very encouraging sign."