Remodeled 'Star' Ready For Morehead Premiere

The origin of the "Star of Bethlehem" has been debated for centuries, and it is unlikely that an agreement will be reached anytime soon.

But the possibilities are worth exploring at the Morehead Planetarium.

The "Star of Bethlehem" show, which premiered in 1949, has been remodeled for the first time since 1993. Showings will begin at the planetarium Thursday.

Traditional Christmas songs -- from a version of "Joy to the World" featuring Chancellor James Moeser playing the organ to ancient Middle Eastern music -- fill the Star Theater courtesy of the new, digitally edited soundtrack.

Dazzling special effects superior to those in the old production leave the audience breathless thanks to an upgraded video system and additional visual sequences.

The decision to revamp the show was reached in February.

The production only runs for two months each year, but it has gained a strong reputation, drawing a crowd of 7,900 last year.

But little about the new production remains the same as in the original.

"This is more fast-paced," said Holden Thorp, the planetarium's director. "The old one was nice, soothing stars and Christmas music."

Because of a $1.5 million startup grant from NASA last year, funding from the Office of the Provost and ticket sales, the planetarium sees many changes written in the stars, although Thorp said many of the changes he would like to see made will not happen until far in the future.

The planetarium always has aimed to offer an educational experience for the more than 80,000 visitors who come each year, but the transformed "Star of Bethlehem" brings a new element to the center -- entertainment.

In a culture where television and movies dominate many people's lives, the planetarium had to make some changes to continue its tradition of success.

Perhaps the most marked renovation to "Star of Bethlehem" is the incorporation of the University community in all aspects of the production.

Faculty and students helped with research in addition to appearing in the production.

Thorp said he hopes student attendance will increase as a result of the incorporation of faculty and students.

Faculty, staff and students who present UNC ONE Cards at the 7 p.m. Thursday premiere will receive free admission to the show.

"We are really encouraging students to attend the premiere this Thursday," Thorp said.

Peter Kaufman, professor of religious studies, and Jaroslav Folda, professor of art, offered new expertise and opinions on the famed "Star of Bethlehem." In the old production, the audience was exposed to an outdated and limited view of the "Star of Bethlehem."

Senior Leesie Mappes not only works at the planetarium but also helped to conduct research that enabled the artists to reconstruct the images that are seen in the production.

Mappes said she was pleased with the outcome of "Star of Bethlehem."

"It incorporates all of the senses except for taste and smell," Mappes said. "The things that strike me most are the superb quality of the images -- the detail and artwork."