SHAC to Raise Funds for Area Health

The Student Health Action Coalition, a student group that provides free health care to the local community, will be hosting a concert to benefit its programming this year.

Entirely student-run, SHAC offers a variety of medical and dental services to the public. Starting at 6 p.m. every Wednesday, students from UNC's seven health affairs schools see patients of all ages and backgrounds.

Kelly Machovec, finance coordinator for SHAC, said the medical clinic alone typically treats around 18 people each week, providing such services as immunizations, physicals and STD treatments.

"Our goal is to help people who aren't insured or are underinsured," she said.

SHAC, which was founded in 1967, has had to keep up with many changes in the health care world throughout the years.

With these changes comes an ever-increasing budget, one that requires more funds from the University as well as from the public.

Each UNC department involved in SHAC -- including the schools of Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, Public Health and Social Work -- are responsible for raising $1,000 each for the program.

The UNC hospital system and the office of the provost also contribute to SHAC's funding, but Machovec said grant writing and fund raising are particularly vital in keeping SHAC's doors open.

"Right now, we kind of have piecemeal donations from different University departments," she said.

Fund raisers like tonight's concert help SHAC raise its $20,000 yearly budget in addition to raising awareness in the community.

And aside from the money, Machovec said tonight's event is an ideal way to have some fun.

"What better way to get people to give us money than to have a big party at a bar and a cool band?" she said.

The concert tonight will feature Ergot, a popular indie band from Wilmington that draws upon many musical styles, including funk, bluegrass, jazz and rock. SHAC hopes the group will bring in a big crowd.

From 9-11 p.m., all the money collected from the $4 cover charge at Pantana Bob's will go to SHAC. More information about SHAC and its projects can be found at www.med.unc.edu/wrkunits/orgs/shac.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.