Simpson Writes With Spirit of N.C. Native

Along with his position as director of the creative writing program, Simpson has attracted national attention as an accomplished writer and as a member of a Tony Award-winning band, the Red Clay Ramblers.

But despite this widespread acclaim, Simpson has kept his talents and interests close to home.

Simpson, who was raised in both Elizabeth City and Chapel Hill, said his experiences roaming through the North Carolina landscape have left a strong impression on him.

"I was very lucky growing up in two different North Carolina towns," he said. "I'm a small town kid, and I love this state."

His newest book, "Ghost Ship of Diamond Shoals: The Mystery of the Carroll A. Deering" -- which he will be reading from at 5 p.m. today -- is his fourth work set in coastal North Carolina. It's also his second piece of nonfiction that documents a true, unsolved mystery in the area.

"Ghost Ship of Diamond Shoals" weaves together the details of a mysterious 1921 shipwreck that took place off the coast of Cape Hatteras. By the time rescuers reached the landed vessel, no trace of the captain or the crew could be found.

Rumors of piracy followed, resulting in an uproar in the shipping industry and an FBI investigation of the case -- one that remains unsolved to this day.

As a writer and artist, Simpson described his work as a method of synthesizing his ideas.

"It's a way to think, it organizes your thoughts," he said. "It's a gang of work, but it's also a gang of fun."

And along with the basic satisfaction of writing, the enjoyment of seeing his work in a public setting keeps him enthusiastic.

"The hopes of putting these creations in front of people and striking a chord is important," he said.

In addition to his personal writing, Simpson's job as creative writing program director provides him with lot of exposure to the writing process.

"It's a wonderful position for a writer to have," he said.

He explained that the energy and creativity that comes from the students is exciting and challenging and that as a writer himself, he can easily relate to the difficulties students face.

"There's a tremendous amount of vitality at a university, period," he said. "The forms of imagination that are swirling around a place like Chapel Hill are many. ... It's fun to be a part of it."

The event this afternoon, which is free and open to the public, will be held in the Pleasants Family Assembly Room of Wilson Library. A brief reception will begin at 5 p.m., to be followed by Simpson's reading at 5:30 p.m.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.