Terps Trample Dismal Tar Heels

But when its game against Maryland was finished, though, the ugly truth was drawn in the sand for the few who remained from the initial Homecoming crowd of 44,000: Maryland 59, North Carolina 7.

It was the worst home loss in school history and the worst loss since 1923, when Yale topped the Tar Heels 53-0.

"This is as low as it can right now," said UNC right tackle Jeb Terry. "We didn't get beat -- we got humiliated."

At this point, it would be hard to pinpoint exactly what caused the Tar Heels' crash into the Kenan Stadium dirt.

There were too many touchdowns and too many mental mistakes to wade through to find a definite time when it all fell apart for UNC (2-7, 0-5 in the ACC).

Following the Tar Heels' fourth straight loss, the fact that they had jumped to an early 7-0 lead was long forgotten. In its place were 59 unanswered points, a stat that seems almost unfathomable.

Maryland (7-2, 3-1) struck quickly after C.J. Stephens' 1-yard plunge in the first quarter. Scott McBrien hit Scooter Monroe on an 80-yard TD pass to tie the score.

"The long pass seems to jump right on us, and we don't play well after that," said UNC coach John Bunting.

After that, the Tar Heels' offensive wheels started to come loose. UNC failed to cross midfield until after the fourth quarter started and was unable to move the ball on the ground or in the air.

By that time, the wheels had fallen completely off the defense and the special teams units. Maryland scored on seven straight offensive drives and on a Steve Suter 77-yard punt return to put the game away and send the crowd home early.

Not that eight touchdowns and a field goal were the only eye-popping numbers available after the Terrapins' blowout win.

Since the Tar Heels' last win, an Oct. 5 victory at Arizona State, they have been outscored 161-51. Since quarterback Darian Durant left the Oct. 19 Virginia loss with a broken thumb, they have been outscored 113-13.

"We'd love to have answers, and if we had them right now, we'd make changes to get better," said Stephens, Durant's replacement.

Saturday, the Terps strengthened its bowl campaign by racking up 588 yards of total offense, 388 of which came on the ground. Senior Chris Downs totaled 159 yards on 19 carries, while teammate Josh Allen went for 91 yards on five attempts.

The duo combined for six TDs.

"That really rips my guts out," Bunting said of Maryland's rushing game.

Perhaps what should have tore at the coach's insides was the fact that his team looked so helpless as the Terps' lead grew.

That fact wasn't lost on Maryland, which could see its counterparts failing.

"To tell you the truth, I expected a lot more," McBrien said. "They laid down a little bit, and we took advantage."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.