Ohio State, Dockside Dolls Feud Over Ad Soliciting Student Dancers

The directories were produced by University Directories, the same company that creates UNC's directory and directories for other universities across the country.

Duke University and UNC recently refused to run similar ads in their directories, said Johnny Basinger, director of operation for the Aberdeen, N.C.-based Dockside Dolls company.

The ad was pulled because administrators thought it was inappropriate, said Ohio State spokeswoman Elizabeth Conlisk.

"(The ad depicted a) made-up woman suggesting that the students should be strippers in order to pay tuition costs," Conlisk said. "I think this ad was trying to exploit students."

She said while students are welcome to choose to strip or do exotic dancing, the university cannot promote these activities.

Dockside Dolls officials said they think the company was being censored when the ad was pulled but will not challenge Ohio State's decision.

Jeff Lintner, assistant manager for the Cary location of Dockside Dolls, said that he does not think the ad was inappropriate and that it should not have been pulled.

"We were not trying to exploit students," he said. "We simply ran an employment ad."

Lintner said there are other opportunities for employment at Dockside Dolls besides dancing. "(For example) last year a student from the Raleigh-Durham area received a promotion from waitressing and now she is a server," he said.

Lintner explained that working for Dockside Dolls is a good way for students to make money.

"Just like in the movie industry, depending on how pretty they are, they make $150 to $400 a night. ... Ladies earn $150 in a night just to talk to corporates and $400 just to dance," Lintner said.

He added that he thinks Ohio State has the wrong impression of what working at Dockside Dolls entails.

"Some of our gentlemen don't require much -- some of our gentleman just want to be talked to," Lintner said.

He said the night club protects student workers. "It is a gentleman's nightclub, but we make sure that the ladies are safe," Lintner said.

Dockside Dolls has been in business since 1993. Since then it has helped students to fund their education, Lintner said.

"Students used their tip money to pay for housing and other tuition-related fees. ... Another student, who is studying chemical research in a master's program at one of the Triangle universities, said that she is just working to pay tuition costs."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.