Town Wants University To Rethink Parking Lot

The University has contracted to purchase two parcels of land from Rebecca Clark adjacent to another already purchased on Cameron Avenue near the University Power Plant.

Bruce Runberg, vice chancellor for facilities planning and construction, said the University's intent is to turn the property into parking for employees who are relocating from the main campus to work at maintenance shops near the lots.

"About three weeks ago the realtor for Ms. Clark asked UNC if they were interested in the properties," Runberg said. "We need it for staff, and we have agreed to purchase it."

A petition sent by Cam Hill, who ran for mayor last fall, stated that the parking lot would encourage more traffic, destroy the neighborhood and seriously impact property values.

Hill wants the University to reconsider the parking lot's location. "It's residential, and it should stay residential, but they are ignoring the zoning requirements."

Bill Stockard, assistant to the town manager, said Town Manager Cal Horton is researching the zoning issues associated with the parking lot and is in the process of writing a letter to UNC construction officials to inquire more about the project and to inform them of the concerns of the residents.

"The council wanted to ask UNC to reconsider," Stockard said. "The letter will state what the petition has said and ask UNC to state their intentions."

Chapel Hill Town Council member Jim Ward said that because the homes on the property are not in the historic district, the council cannot prevent UNC from turning the property into a parking lot.

Ward said the council urged Horton to write the letter because it wants to try to compromise with the University and the residents. "We'd like to at least understand the University's position and at the same time let them understand a citizen concern," Ward said. "We'd like to improve the line of communication to help the University proceed with their priorities with concern for the rest of the town."

Hill's petition also argues the construction of parking lots is restricted under zoning laws, though town officials say parking lots are exempt from zoning restrictions.

"The town attorney has clarified certain things that are exempt from town zoning laws," Stockard said. "If it was a building it would be subject to (zoning restrictions), but it's not since it is a parking lot.

Runberg said he is aware of the complaints of the parking lot but did not comment whether the University would compromise or cancel the plans for construction after it received Horton's letter. "We will just have to see what the letter says."

Runberg said the University has a right under the "use of land" to build the lot. "It's a legal definition stating that a state agency can put parking on a property, and it is not affected by zoning."

Hill said he had received a response that the University would "work with him."

"I don't really know what my options are," Hill said. "I feel powerless, and I don't think the University is going to stop just because I ask them to."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.