Leaders Look at Code Changes

Forum focuses on providing students with details on the Honor Code

About 25 students -- most of whom were student leaders -- met for a forum Tuesday to discuss the proposed revisions to UNC's honor system and debate ways to reach out to students on such issues as integrity and honor.

The group discussed the changes and how they will benefit the code by making it more comprehensible and easier for students to read, as well as clarifying what is under Honor Court jurisdiction.

The revisions that have been made specify what constitutes a violation, how the offender will be charged and the course of action that will be taken if the accused is found guilty.

On Friday, the Faculty Council approved a resolution adopting recommendations made by the Committee on Student Conduct to amend the Instrument of Student Judicial Governance.

Student Congress will review COSC's recommendations next month.

Jonathan Slain, the student representative for COSC, said he played an important role in the revisions and was glad to have a chance to meet with members of Student Congress to discuss the proposed revisions.

"We were excited that Student Congress has taken initiative, asked a lot of questions and has been working hard because they realized how important these changes are going to be for the average student," he said.

"Now the next step is to take what we've accomplished to the student body."

Another important part of the forum was the discussion of issues concerning student awareness of what the terms honor and integrity mean to the University. Student leaders also discussed ways students can get information and advice on personal situations they might encounter concerning honor and integrity.

The group was concerned that even if the students had the chance to read the proposed revisions, they might not understand the Honor Code, its purpose and how it can affect them personally.

The group brought up a variety of solutions, ranging from an online student certification process where students can take an online quiz on honor to integrating the topic in the summer reading for freshmen. Participants also discussed creating a hotline students can call and have their questions answered.

Among those to initiate and discuss solutions for educating and relaying information to students on honor and integrity was Judith Wegner, COSC chairwoman, who also headed the forum.

Wegner said that she was pleased with the forum and that it gave COSC members a chance to review questions and ideas from various student leaders.

"It was a great opportunity for student leaders to meet so they can get the word out to students about the changes," she said. "And it gave them a chance to make suggestions for outreach and ideas about integrity in the Honor Code."