Tenacity, Toughness Define Fuhrer's UNC Career

For Frank Fuhrer, being compared to a bulldog was a compliment. Scrappiness, leadership and tenacity are all qualities that helped Fuhrer earn his nickname, "The Little Bulldog," and put Carolina golf on the map.

"I was not very big," said Fuhrer in an e-mail, "but I was a tenacious competitor who wanted to win as much as anybody."

Fuhrer always grinded out the best score he could, even on his bad days, said All-America teammate John Spelman. No one quit because they knew Fuhrer was giving his all. If a player had to make a clutch shot, Fuhrer would.

At 5-foot-8, 170 pounds, Fuhrer's physical stature was atypical of a successful golfer, yet everything he lacked mechanically he made up for with attitude. He was stocky and very physically strong, and he loved to fight for the team.

"He was the toughest competitor of all my teammates," said All-ACC teammate John McGough. "He really was a bulldog. His father used to tell us, 'You've got to learn to hate that ball into the hole,' talking about the three-footers. Frank was able to hate the ball in the hole."

In 1977, Devon Brouse, in his first year as UNC coach, signed Fuhrer as his first recruit. Brouse said Fuhrer helped rekindle and restart the program. Wake Forest had dominated the ACC for years, but Fuhrer's addition to North Carolina ushered in an era of change.

Fuhrer struggled as a freshman, however.

"I knew only one student among 20,000 my first week at Carolina," Fuhrer said. "I had trouble adjusting to missing five to six weeks of class the spring semester and being on my own, yet I developed a close relationship with four or five team members early my freshman year. We became a tight-knit group through playing together as a team."

Two-time co-captain Kevin King said that Fuhrer was very streaky as a freshman. But once King and fellow captain McGough left, Fuhrer became a leader.

Fuhrer turned things around in 1980 after a win at the Iron Duke Intercollegiate Tournament. He set the school-record for the lowest stroke average in a season (72.8), won the attitude award and the best overall player award. He entered his senior year ranked the No. 2 amateur by Golf Digest.

In 1981, Fuhrer won the Western Amateur, represented the United States in international competition on the victorious Walker Cup team and led UNC to an ACC Tournament victory.

Fuhrer went on to play briefly on the PGA Tour and now resides in Pittsburgh with his wife and three sons. He currently serves as General Sales Manager for the Frank B. Fuhrer Wholesale Company.

Fuhrer was special, not only to his team, but also to his community. In May 2002, the Western Pennsylvania Golf Association created the Frank Fuhrer III Award, to be given to the area's outstanding intercollegiate golfer.

"Frank is one of the finest people I have ever known," McGough said. "He just has a great heart. There ought to be more things named after him. We loved him; every time we would see him, we would smile. He was just the greatest."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu