Zoning of Proposed Hotel Still Uncertain

After hearing arguments from neighbors, the Chapel Hill Town Council on Wednesday postponed discussion on an application for a planned development-mixed use permit for construction of a Marriott Residence Inn Hotel.

The proposed development combines a total of 79,120 square feet for hotel, office and residential development space and would be located at the corner of Erwin Road and Dobbins Drive, in the Residential-3-Conditional zoning district.

Representing the applicant, Gene Singleton of Summit Hospitality Group Ltd., Scott Radway presented the request for a planned development-mixed use R-3 zone.

The applicant has made several adjustments, such as reducing the number of rooms from 120 to 108 and adding a 50-foot buffer zone surrounding the area, to conform to the proposed Land-Use Management Ordinance, which the council might pass Monday.

But some neighboring residents believe the development has been placed in the wrong zoning category.

"Landowners should be able to do what they want to do with their property, but when it does not meet the interest of its neighbors, that's not good," said neighboring homeowner Harvey Krasny.

He said the surrounding area would be harmed by more mixed-use developments.

"This threatens our neighborhood's understanding of being residential, not commercial," Krasny said.

Dan Larue, president of Kirkwood Homeowners Association, said 62 residents elected him to represent their interests and voice their traffic concerns.

"This hotel would only add to the congestion of the already-congested (Erwin Road) area," Larue said.

Another local resident, Jeff Fendt, said he is in favor of the Marriott project.

Fendt said that because the area surrounding the hotel is residential, the hotel will have a low impact and therefore should not be considered high-density.

"The proposed residential inn is a nice concept, and it is very considerate of Mr. Singleton to blend the atmosphere of the hotel into the residential area," Fendt said.

Council members also were not sure if the hotel qualifies for a mixed-use permit.

"I am very disappointed that this application is trying to come off as a limited-use development," said council member Flicka Bateman.

Jim Ward said he wants the engineers to evaluate whether this property will fit into an R-3-C category.

Mayor Kevin Foy said that if the developer wants to rezone under a different category, that would be possible. "It seems theoretically that you could build anything with council's approval," Foy said.

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu..