24 hours of improv starts tomorrow

Online Exclusive

University students, members of the community and volunteers from as far away as Utah will come together tonight to bring a few laughs to the campus and raise money for charity.

Performers will take the stage at 9 p.m. in 100 Hamilton Hall and battle exhaustion as they perform for 24 hours as part of the third annual 24LIVE improv comedy marathon.

Part of the money will be donated to Tikun Olam, an organization that provides Thanksgiving dinners to local families identified by the Inter-Faith Council as needing assistance.

Vivian Olkin, leader of Tikun Olam, said she hopes to use the proceeds to attract bigger donors.

"It's a great way to jump-start our year," she said. "I'm talking to Sysco about matching whatever money we get."

The remaining proceeds will benefit WCOM 103.5, a community-run radio station in Carrboro that is struggling to raise $11,000. The funds would match a federal grant that is needed before it can start broadcasting.

Dirty South Improv Theater, an organization that promotes the development and performance of improvised comedy, organized the charity event with the Chapel Hill Players, UNC's student improv group.

Zach Ward - founder of Dirty South Improv, executive producer of 24LIVE and a UNC graduate - stressed the importance of the event.

"We hope to not only raise money for the groups we benefit, but media attention and, most importantly, student attention," Ward said.

Other performers said 24LIVE is a unique opportunity to make people laugh and raise money for a good cause.

"It's important that people use their talents to help the community," said Malinda Faber, a UNC senior and CHiPs member. "If we can put on an improv show and raise money at the same time, that's great."

Last year's event raised more than $1,000 for the Women's Center in Chapel Hill. Ward said he hopes to surpass that amount this year.

Tickets can be purchased at the door and range from $7 for single-entry tickets to $12 for a 24-hour pass.

Ward urged students to attend the event, not only for the cause but also to encourage the performers.

"Support your local comedy," he said. "Everyone should see this show."